PDA

View Full Version : Transient global amnesia

Jay Jolliffe
12-18-2008, 6:10 PM
Has anyone experienced this before. What it is is loss of memory for around 6 to 24 hrs it's not chemical induced.It's a scary thing not to know what you did for say 12 to 24 hrs & then not be sure of the actual memories that you have. Many years ago I would pay a lot of money to get this way now all I have to do is pay the hospital bills for the tests that come after.

Belinda Barfield
12-18-2008, 6:48 PM
Are you taking any statin drugs for high cholesterol? I made the assumption when you mentioned not drug related that you were referring to the recreational variety. Sorry if that was not the case.

Sean Troy
12-18-2008, 6:53 PM
I've heard of more than once that a lack of certian vitiamins and or elements in the body can cause this. I hope thats all it is for you. Best of luck and prayers are with you .

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-18-2008, 7:59 PM
Get to your physician ASAP.
It could be an embolism forming up.
It could be a lot of things but the ones that are bad are very bad.

Thomas Knighton
12-18-2008, 8:27 PM
Get to a doctor first and rule out anything medical. Then get to a GOOD psychologist if that doesn't do the trick. It could be the symptom of several things, and it's best to get it dealt with.

Tom

David G Baker
12-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Belinda,
I keep thinking that one of these days that the Food and Drug Administration is going to come out and announce the hazards of statins. The argument that I keep hearing that the good that the drug does far out weighs the potential harm. I tried three different statins and with in a short period of time on each drug my memory started to deteriorate. On the last one, Crestor, I suffered major weakness, memory problems and orientation problems. I quit the statins and have improved considerably with the exception of getting my memory back to the condition it was prior to taking the drugs.
I agree with getting to a doctor as soon as possible.

Jay Jolliffe
12-19-2008, 6:15 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm going today. They did a MRI & EEG yesterday so I have to talk to them today. I don't take any medication for anything so it can't be that....I did see some of the MRI & I do have a brain at least. Sometimes I think there is nothing between the two ears. Thanks again :)

Belinda Barfield
12-19-2008, 7:36 AM
Good luck Jay. I hope you have an answer today. I'll be thinking of you.

Joe Little
12-19-2008, 8:45 AM
I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on Thanksgiving this year, very scary. It is also called a warning stroke. Look it up and you will see it sounds like this is what you had. Mine affected me with slurred speach for about an hour and a half but it can manifest itself as memory loss or even some paralysis. The only thing that makes it different from a stroke is that the symptoms disappear in 24 hours. I am 54 and in excellent health, avid biker, etc so it was a shock. I spent the night in the hospital because they wanted to monitor my heart and do tests. They found nothing but it is a sign that something could be amiss. Think of this warning as a gift a chance others don't get, don't ignore it. Good luck.

Joe

Jay Jolliffe
12-19-2008, 5:42 PM
I went & talked to the Dr about the tests & did a few more. The MRI & EER or what ever it was shows it wasn't a stroke. Everything looks normal. Thanks for the concern:)