PDA

View Full Version : Do you hate videos as much as I do?

John Schreiber
12-18-2008, 4:53 PM
It seems like every time I want to learn something about a new product or pick up some piece of information, I have to watch a video about it. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but often videos are just people talking about something which could have been written down.

I can scan a written article, but if there's information in a video, I've got to listen to it at the speed it was presented.

Sure, some things are best presented in video, but I think it's overboard now. The most annoying is when I'm trying to figure out some Office 2007 feature, and the information only seems to be available in a video.

Bob Rufener
12-18-2008, 5:13 PM
John, I couldn't agree with you more. I think a lot of manufacturers are putting their manuals and guides on CDs-probably for cost savings. There are some tools and my measuring device for checking squareness on my table saw that I don't use often. I'd like to just open a manual to check it out to refresh my memory rather than going upstairs and viewing the video.

David Epperson
12-18-2008, 5:19 PM
Probably the most annoying video I ever saw was the one about how to hook up your VCR. Of course you had to have the dang thing already hooked up to view it.

Dewey Torres
12-18-2008, 5:22 PM
I could see both points of view:

Sometimes it really helps me to see demos. I see what you mean though about referencing things in a video.

When I need an answer fast the last thing I think of is "hmmm, I'll go watch that video"

I recently I bought the INCRA LS for my router and there is no way I could have learned it without the video.

SO end the end it's a give and take for me considering
type of application
type of information
circumstance

Don Bullock
12-18-2008, 6:38 PM
... but often videos are just people talking about something which could have been written down.

I even got a video with my new TV showing how to plug it in and change the settings. Most of the information wasn't in writing.:eek:

Hope this isn't too political: I find it strange that written directions come in a multitude of languages, but the videos are all in English.

Ben Rafael
12-18-2008, 7:04 PM
I hate videos.
I prefer books. It is a pain in the rear to take a video in to the shop. A book you can leave open to the page you want.

Doug Shepard
12-18-2008, 7:13 PM
I hate videos.
I prefer books. It is a pain in the rear to take a video in to the shop. A book you can leave open to the page you want.

Amen. Plus I can never figure out how to dog-ear fold the corner of the DVD so I can find things again in a hurry.

Mike Henderson
12-18-2008, 7:39 PM
I dislike videos also, mainly because it's hard for me to control the pace of the instruction. I'd rather have something written with pictures, like a book, a magazine article, or a web site. I can skip ahead, or spend more time trying to figure out what's going on. With a video, it's all one speed.

The ONLY time a video is superior is if there's some procedure that you just have to see executed - where a still picture won't do. But there's very few of those.

Mike

Chris Padilla
12-18-2008, 7:50 PM
I think it all depends on the topic and one's level of understanding. I figure most think that a picture is worth a 1000 words.

I happen to have a TV/DVD/VCR combo box in my shop so that I can watch such things. I still haven't gotten my Drill Doctor working correctly despite watching the DVD a 100 times.... That one just isn't flying for me and so I have several dulled bits still waiting.... :(

Robert Parrish
12-18-2008, 8:15 PM
I hate the product reviews that make you watch a commercial before they starts!

Ben West
12-18-2008, 8:53 PM
Some of the "instructional" videos that come with products are absolutely worthless. I'll never forget the 45 minute video that came with my riding mower...I'll never get those 45 minutes back!

But, I really enjoy and learn a lot from, for example, the videos on the FWW website. And, I have a great Lonnie Bird dovetail video that does a much better job of showing a novice how to do the process than any article ever could.

Mitchell Andrus
12-18-2008, 9:15 PM
Different people learn in different ways. Some need to hear it, as in learning to play a saxophone. Some need to see it like the way we learn to drive a car.

I found the easiest way to learn to use Corel Draw (graphics software used to run my laser cutter) was to buy a CD/DVD with text, examples, lessons and 6 hours of videos to refer to.

Imagine reading 'separate 5 egg yolks" in a cook book. Without seeing your mom do it, what would it mean to you?

Videos are OK, but as you noted, a good clear set of instructions are invaluable too.

Paul Geer
12-18-2008, 9:37 PM
Well, I don't hate videos... but what I read sticks in the head much better :).

mike holden
12-19-2008, 8:22 AM
John,
I am with you, I dislike videos intensely! Make me feel I am playing a game!

Give me a nice piece of paper with pictures I can study, paragraphs that I can reread until the knowledge sinks in and I can progress to the next, something I can take into the workshop and follow, step-by-step.

However, to give video it due, there ARE instances where a video is helpful - I have recently started turning and seeing how a skew chisel should be presented to the work is valuable. Turning is an active process - dovetails are not.

Mike

Mitchell Andrus
12-19-2008, 8:38 AM
Turning is an active process - dovetails are not.

Mike

Perfect examples!!!

Mitchell Andrus
12-19-2008, 8:41 AM
Reading about woodworking is like hearing about architecture.

Sometimes, ya just gotta see it.

Joe Chritz
12-19-2008, 9:03 AM
I do but there is a solid reason why they use video.

The vast majority of people process information visually. That means if you ask someone a question they "project" onto an internal billboard to figure the problem out.

That would make video easier and better to give information to many people. When those people go to think about using or the real reason, buying said project they already have an internal video to check out.

We discussed it in a class about interrogation and determining when someone was lying but marketers are thoroughly familiar with the idea. It doesn't change that they are annoying but it does make sense.

Joe

Scott Loven
12-19-2008, 9:03 AM
I sell a lot of Fine Woodworking items from Taunton. I prefer the books myself for most things except wood turning. My customers overwelmingly prefer DVD's.

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2008, 9:45 AM
Hope this isn't too political: I find it strange that written directions come in a multitude of languages, but the videos are all in English.

Hi Don, probably because we, in North America use the NTSC video format, while the rest of the world uses PAL or SECAM.

We also only have 3 official languages in North America.

Printing works in any country :D.

regards, Rod.

Pat Germain
12-19-2008, 2:45 PM
I would like videos a whole lot more if I could ask questions. "Say, Norm. You went a little fast in that last step. Could you please back up a bit and show me again, only more slowly?" :)

Video can be a great learning tool. I agree they are overdone these days. This is likely because it cheaper to record and distribute a video than to write, print and distribute a book.

Nothing in all our modern technology can really compete with a book. Sorry, I don't want to sit under a tree on a beautiful day and look at a computer. But give me a book in the same situation and I'm in Heaven.

Clifford Mescher
12-19-2008, 2:57 PM
Funny how things go in circles. Seems like it wasn't that many years ago people were excited about videos and were wondering why there weren't more of them.:o Clifford.

PS. The commercial before the video makes me want to scream.

Pat Germain
12-19-2008, 3:07 PM
PS. The commercial before the video makes me want to scream.

Yeah, I like those about as much as I like seeing commercials before the movie I paid admission for.

Gregg Feldstone
12-19-2008, 3:15 PM
Like the new and Improved Delta Unisaw video I was sent.
Lots of noise without very much information.