PDA

View Full Version : Planing stop vs. bench dog

John Schreiber
12-18-2008, 4:46 PM
I'm getting close to being done with my workbench and I'm thinking about finishing touches. I will have a row of dog holes all along the front. In the past, I have just dropped in a dog and planed against that when I want to work without a vise.

What is the advantage of a planing stop?

Pam Niedermayer
12-18-2008, 5:03 PM
You've got planing stops. So, there. :)

Now you may need to plane a board on an angle some day, and/or rough out a board with a scrub plane, in which case you'll need more elaborate planing stops, usually L shaped, or two simple stops to pinch the board.

Pam

Ben Davis
12-18-2008, 7:21 PM
Your old school planing stops are typically 2x to 3x larger than your dogs, so it does make it easier to plane stock without the need for any other method of stock security (e.g. 2" x 2" planing stop vs. 3/4" dogs).

glenn bradley
12-18-2008, 8:18 PM
I have a triple row of dog holes so I set two dogs and lay a piece of scrap across them. The only advantage I see is that a single dog allows pivoting which I don't want when planing. A stop would not.

Graham Hughes (CA)
12-18-2008, 10:02 PM
If you're planing diagonally across the grain, the board will rotate around the dog rather than stay in place, which is obnoxious. A wider planing stop--which can be as easy as an L-shaped board clamped in a front vise!--really helps here.

Johnny Kleso
12-18-2008, 10:54 PM
I would add a double dog hole just in front of your face vise..

I would place it about 3" apart, I missed seeing this detail when I planed my bench on David Charlesworth's bench..

John Schreiber
12-19-2008, 8:57 AM
What do you think of the big wooden planing stop that The Great and Powerful Schwarz :D has recommended?

Like this or

on my bench, it would look like this.

Chris Friesen
12-19-2008, 9:38 AM
What do you think of the big wooden planing stop that The Great and Powerful Schwarz :D has recommended?

One issue with that is that it is quite fussy to fit properly all along the length. Adam Cherubini has a spring-loaded version that may be simpler.

Schwarz uses a few different setups, depending on the bench:

Here's a pic of the big square stop with a board held in front of it to create a wider stop for panels:
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/content/binary/WorkbenchCover-Final.jpg

Here's the "L-shaped jig held in a clamp method. Note the strategically placed holdfast to backstop the back end.

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/content/binary/planing-stop.jpg

Dave Anderson NH
12-19-2008, 1:13 PM
Hi John,

If you look back at the last part of my thread on my new bench you'll see the planing stop I use. It fits into the dog holes on each side of my bench and goes across the full 24 " width. I made it 7/16" thick so I can plane wood as thin as 1/2". For thinner wood I support the workpieces on scrap pieces of either 1/8" or 1/4" thick plywood or masonite.

Kevin Brenton
12-25-2008, 8:47 AM
I'm getting close to being done with my workbench and I'm thinking about finishing touches. I will have a row of dog holes all along the front. In the past, I have just dropped in a dog and planed against that when I want to work without a vise.

What is the advantage of a planing stop?

I use the bench stop a lot I find it very useful .
When the stop gets wrecked or damaged it easy to replace ,much easier that replacing a hole.
The bench stop is a piece of board with a slot cut down the centre its secured underneath with a threaded knob and threaded stock fixed to the leg of the bench .I can loosen the knob and push the stop up to what ever height I want ,and below the bench top when I'm not using it.
I don't have any dog holes in my bench at all , not because I don't want them ,I just haven't got around to putting them in and I don't have end vice as yet so dog holes will come later .
I'm making a new jaw for the front vice ,it will have two dog holes in the top , and two corresponding holes in the bench for clamping wider material.

Kev

Derek Cohen
12-25-2008, 10:29 AM
My favourite bench dog ... (Rufus as a bench pup several years ago)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Other/Benchdog2.jpg

:)

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Schreiber
12-25-2008, 3:54 PM
My favourite bench dog ... (Rufus as a bench pup several years ago)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Other/Benchdog2.jpg

:)

Regards from Perth

Derek
Adorable! By the way, what stain did you use on that bench? Ohh Rufus. :D:D

Back on topic, I'm planning to stick with bench dogs and some battens of various shapes which will have stubs sticking out of the bottom to fit into the dog holes.