PDA

View Full Version : Quick setting glue for mouldings...

Michael Donahue
12-18-2008, 3:17 PM
Hey all. I'm going to be doing some crown moulding on some bookcases I just built. I want to try to glue the 45's together and put up the moulding in one piece so I was wondering if there was a good quick setting glue that I could use to bond the corners. I was hoping there'd be something with a short open time (enough to get everything lined up) but quick setting enough that I don't have to wait to long or clamp it (I'll be nailing it onto the bookcases).

Thanks for the help! :)

Daniel Thompson
12-18-2008, 3:38 PM
2P-10 adhesive made by Fastcap works very well for this type of application. It's a thick gel with a spray accelerator. Put the gel on one piece and spray the accelerator on the other. When they come in contact, they're stuck. I've bought it at Woodcraft stores but don't see it on Woodcraft's web site currently. You can always order directly from Fastcap as a last resort.

Neal Clayton
12-18-2008, 4:12 PM
titebond 3 and a finishing nail shot in the corner works fine for me. it'll be set in about 10-15 mins and the nail is pressure enough to hold it.

Chris Padilla
12-18-2008, 4:16 PM
Titebond makes a molding and trim glue (http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductCategoryTB.asp?prodcat=1) exactly for your situation. The only problem is that it isn't too easy to find; I doubt your local hardware store has it. You may need to visit a woodworking shop.

If you can't find it, in a pinch, use the original Titebond I (red cap). It sets up relatively fast but probably not fast enough for you.

Vince Shriver
12-18-2008, 4:29 PM
Pin nailers (23 guage) work well for holding trim in place and the nail hole is almost invisable - smaller than the punctuation at the end of this sentence.

Lee Schierer
12-18-2008, 4:45 PM
It's a bit pricey perhaps, but Titebond's HiPur hot polyurethane glue is super strong and sets up in less than 5 minutes. http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/graphics/photos/tools/hipurrvu/hipurleadt.jpg

Chip Lindley
12-18-2008, 7:21 PM
I recommend the *instant setting* pin nailer, plus some good ol' yellow wood glue! A pin nailer is the best thing since *sliced bread*....whole wheat is healthier than jusWhite....

Michael Donahue
12-18-2008, 7:46 PM
I did just pick up a pin nailer (HF model...don't laugh! :D) so I think I'll give that a shot first.

About the Titebond moulding glue....how long do you have to hold/clamp it to get a decent bond before attaching?

Thanks for all the replies folks!:cool:

Chris Padilla
12-18-2008, 7:53 PM
I did just pick up a pin nailer (HF model...don't laugh! :D) so I think I'll give that a shot first.

About the Titebond moulding glue....how long do you have to hold/clamp it to get a decent bond before attaching?

Since I brought it up, I'll respond: I have no idea...couldn't find it when I needed it and so I went with Titebond I. It sets up pretty quick. I glued all my door casings on the floor before attaching them to the wall and just clamped them up for an hour. Worked for me.

Lee Schierer
12-19-2008, 12:36 PM

I watche a demo of the HiPur system at a woodworking show and they glued pine pieces about 3/4" thick, 3" long and 2" wide together as part of the demo. In less than five minutes after gluing they handed them to big guys in the crowd and challenged them to break the bond using just their hands. None did that I saw!

Robert Parrish
12-19-2008, 1:08 PM
I use the HiPURformer System and it works great! I just glued several hundred pieces on a carousel horse and it would have been hard to do without it. The only problem I had was with squeeze out. It's had to remove.