PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever

Johnm Chase
12-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Did you ever buy a saw or other tool then read about another tool that made your purchase look anemic. I bought my 14 inch Griz band saw and am quite happy but then I got to reading about the new 16 or 17 inchers and got to wondering. there should be a rule that after you get your new tool you shouldn't read any reviews for at least.......... 2 years:rolleyes:

Gary Click
12-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Seems to happen everytime I buy something. The next week there is a new model that is bigger, higher, faster, deeper, cheaper, etc.

We need a technology freeze and only allow an incremental leap every three to five years where all the new stuff comes out at the same time.

Kinda like having techno Christmas.

Rod Sheridan
12-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, I purchased a General 650 and then Felder opened a branch in town........Dang!

I had wanted one however when the dealer was in Winnipeg, it wasn't very convenient for me.

Now I guess it's sell the General time............Rod.

Tom Veatch
12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Did you ever buy a saw or other tool then read about another tool that made your purchase look anemic...

The only time that happens to me is every time I buy something:(. I think your "2 year" boycott is too short.:D

Dave Lehnert
12-18-2008, 4:22 PM
The one thing I have noticed on woodworking message boards is the tools keep getting bigger and bigger. About 7 or 8 years ago the JET 6" jointer was all the rage. Everyone was buying one. Now you are looked down on if you don't own a 8". Could never figure out why 8". Yes it is better than a 6" but why not purchase a 12"? $$$$$$$
I used a 4" jointer for years with no problem. Just all what you are use to.

John Callahan
12-18-2008, 4:30 PM
Maybe I'm just a Luddite but I kinda like older design tools that were designed by engineers that believed in the K.I.S.S rule. I'm more bothered that companies like Porter Cable have discontinued their tried and true tools (what the PC reps call their Heritage line) such as the 503/504 "freight train" belt sanders, Model 310 and Model 100 routers, and 9118/126 door planer. I'm not so sure all the bells and whistles on many new tools is actually "progress".

Marcus Ward
12-18-2008, 4:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer%27s_remorse

Chris Padilla
12-18-2008, 5:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer%27s_remorse

Mmmmmm, cognitive dissonance....

Paul Atkins
12-18-2008, 6:30 PM
Yeah, that asian 14" bandsaw looked big compared to the Craftsman 12" till I got the 20" Powermatic -(-Now there was a 42" Oliver for hauling away --but I didn't have 440.----) But I never buy anything new anyway. I never did find out how old my J-line tablesaw is.

Paul Steiner
12-18-2008, 8:54 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. First it is the American way bigger, faster, more, and cheaper. Personally I think we should modify this to Faster, more efficent, higher quality, and cheaper (exlude cheaper it needed to avoid chinese goods).
But... I do love big woodworking machines! Why buy a 10" table saw when I can get a 12"? Everybody wants the the machine bigger than the other guys machine.

Recently I have avoided this by buying older equipment. I find that the history of the machine and the time you might spend refurbishing it negates these feelings. Example my father has a rockwell TS that came out of a wwII factory that rough cut lumber to be shipped to gun makers. Maybe not the most historically significant saw but it is very important to him. And the fact he has brought the saw back to life many times is of equal importance. My father would never trade this saw and there have been a few times we needed something larger. Many old TS have history like this, used in a factory a relative worked at or in a school you may have gone too etc.

Sonny Edmonds
12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Recently I have avoided this by buying older equipment. I find that the history of the machine and the time you might spend refurbishing it negates these feelings. Example my father has a rockwell TS that came out of a wwII factory that rough cut lumber to be shipped to gun makers. Maybe not the most historically significant saw but it is very important to him. And the fact he has brought the saw back to life many times is of equal importance. My father would never trade this saw and there have been a few times we needed something larger. Many old TS have history like this, used in a factory a relative worked at or in a school you may have gone too etc.

PSSST.... Hey Paul....
Show this to your Dad:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/shop_shots/center_2.jpg

That's a DOD WWII bench type drill press. Weighs about 500 pounds! I have it mounted to two old lathe legs and a plywood table.
They real beauty of this old war horse is that the head moves up and down the massive column, leaving the table co-planer to the rest of the shops level surfaces.
Love this old beast! :)

Aaron Berk
12-18-2008, 10:45 PM
PSSST.... Hey Paul....
Show this to your Dad:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Epie/images/shop_shots/center_2.jpg

That's a DOD WWII bench type drill press. Weighs about 500 pounds! I have it mounted to two old lathe legs and a plywood table.
They real beauty of this old war horse is that the head moves up and down the massive column, leaving the table co-planer to the rest of the shops level surfaces.
Love this old beast! :)

When I grow up I wanna be like Sonny:D

Don Bullock
12-18-2008, 11:42 PM
A couple of years ago I talked SWMBO into a bench top drill press. The first time I used it I realized that the quill travel was far too limited for what I wanted it for. I wish that I had saved up for a floor model.

Steven DeMars
12-19-2008, 12:06 AM
When I grow up I wanna be like Sonny:D

Is that a spindle sander in your router table?

Nice shop . . .

Steve

Steve Rozmiarek
12-19-2008, 1:25 AM
My favorite is when you spend a pile of loot on a tool you need, then the danged thing goes on sale two days later, and you over paid by 50%... Or, just hypothetically speaking, you buy an Austrian combo machine for a substantial amount, without noting that the weak dollar is probably not going to stay weak. Two weeks later, guess what happens, hypothetically of course.:o

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 1:53 AM
Great post. Please don't beat yourself up. It appears you are not alone.:o

Carlos Alden
12-19-2008, 9:52 AM
Did you ever buy a saw or other tool then read about another tool that made your purchase look anemic. I bought my 14 inch Griz band saw and am quite happy but then I got to reading about the new 16 or 17 inchers and got to wondering. there should be a rule that after you get your new tool you shouldn't read any reviews for at least.......... 2 years:rolleyes:

John:

Go read my recent post "sheepish bandsaw question". I did six months of reading and research and then stumbled on a great deal on a bandsaw that appeared to meet all my needs based on my research. I haven't even picked the thing up from Woodcraft and I'm having second thoughts!!!

I think it's endemic to putting out sheckels for toys. I want, I justify, I need, I'd like to have.... these things get all mixed up in our decision making process.

Carlos

Peter Quinn
12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I bought my 14" powermatic as a starter saw, about two months later I took a class in cutting veneer and BS setup. The class was taught on an 18" Laguna. I spent several months kicking my self in the pants for not having waited and saved up for the bigger saw, and now with one child and one more on the way it seems my budget for that new BS is very limited. But I realized I HAVE a very good saw and have reached a point where I am more content with all the work I have accomplished with the tool I have than the one I don't. A big BS may get you some resaw capacity and speed, but I have seen much fine curved work and joinery accomplished on a 12" PM BS at work! After all, they tell me its the man using the tool that does the work.

I had a similar experience in the TS arena. I started with a skill saw. I moved up to an 8" makita bench top, big upgrade for me. Then I got a PM66! Loved it till I used my first Euro slider. Then I felt straddled with it like an idiot for some time, why hadn't I saved up for a slider? What was I thinking buying this cabinet saw POS! Now I am back to loving my TS and merely wishing for a slider some day.

Seriously, I still pine for those big smooth euro saws on occasion, and I hope to get them 'someday', but I no longer have negative feelings towards my 14" for what it is not or my TS. I make the most out of their capacties and enjoy their use.