PDA

View Full Version : Reliant Bandsaw

Tom McCann
12-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I could use some help. I don't know much about reliant bandsaws, but have someone selling a 14" reliant bandsaw for 275.00 model DD90 brand new in box never used.

Is it worth it? ;)

Any advice would be appreciated

Curt Harms
12-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I could use some help. I don't know much about reliant bandsaws, but have someone selling a 14" reliant bandsaw for 275.00 model DD90 brand new in box never used.

Is it worth it? ;)

Any advice would be appreciated

I believe the consensus is that it's very similar to if not identical to the this Harbor Freight saw (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32208). I haven't had experience with this saw but from what I've read, it is serviceable with some tweaking. OTOH $339 plus shipping if applicable gets you some support and warranty. Reliant is a defunct house brand of Woodworkers Warehouse.

HTH

Curt

Tom McCann
12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Curt.

I was kind of wearing about this one.

Joel Goodman
12-18-2008, 2:23 PM
It's not that cheap for what it is.

Jim Becker
12-18-2008, 3:18 PM
Reliant was the house brand for Trendlines/Woodworker's Warehouse when they were still in business. A step up from HFT and similar or a step down from many others. Parts are likely very common with other machines still available. $275 is definitely pushing things, however..

Thomas S Stockton
12-18-2008, 3:28 PM
Jim
More like half a step up, I've had a couple of their tools and they are pretty uniformly the same low qaulity. That saw probably sold for that price brand new and you would be better off with low end grizzly or if you could talk the person down a bunch in price, But I wouldn't pay more than $125 for it.
Tom

Marlin Williams
12-18-2008, 3:41 PM
I have a DD90. It is pretty much a HF BS. The problem is a couple parts are very uniqe to it. Luckly the OLD HF bandsaws used similar/same parts so I was able to get soemthing from them that I can make work.

So for a starter/basic BS it will do the job. But not at that price.

Gary Elore
12-18-2008, 3:48 PM
I've got one. It's an OK saw but the manual was absolutely horrible. I put the 6" riser on mine and had a bit of difficulty getting the wheels co-planar afterward. Took a bit of shimming and tweaking. Adjustment of the lower thrust bearing and guides is somewhat difficult also.

FWIW the cast iron on mine appears to be of higher quality than what I've seen on the Harbor Freight saws. $275 is definitely too much IMHO though.

Gary

Tom McCann
12-18-2008, 6:34 PM
Jim,

Thanks I knew that is was only worth 100.00, but wasn't sure of background of reliant. I am going to wait it out save the extra for a decent saw. Grizzly looks like they have good tools.

I actually just pick up an old 2002 6" jointer for 160 and it works great.

Thanks to everyone who has responded with good advice