PDA

View Full Version : irritation ad-nauseum

Gene Michael
12-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Gotta tell you, the moving dewalt tracksaw ad is irritating. After seeing it at the top of evgery post - over and over and over..... I just log out and go somewhere else

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Gene,

You can become a Contributor for $6 and get rid of the ads.

We have to pay the bills somehow.

Dewey Torres
12-18-2008, 1:07 AM
I will second that ... 168 posts divided by $6 equals 3.6 cents per post and you got all for free. You have posted 37 threads, most of which were answered by professional woodworkers:

Out of those threads you may have closed 5 (being generous) of them with a thanks including this line:

"Thanks, guys. This is what I love about SMC. No matter what the topic, there are folks who have ready answers and are willing to share them! :D

I called the service number on the manual (the distributor?? it wasn't Woodcraft). Absolutely no help, so I called Woodcraft. BIG help. We're going to swap out grinders for one they'll check before shipping. For my part, I ordered the one way dressing attachment along with a felt buffing wheel and some compound. Anticipation and waiting will be the toughest part of the process.

Thanks again for the excellent advice."

Furthermore: Your last big question "Miter Saw Woes" got 18 replies and over 700 views... your response was:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. LOML has put a MS sweater on my Christmas list!!!! :D

"I'll start cruising the refurbished MS sites Recently bought a nice makita 90 degree drill from one and it's been great.

Hope everyone has a great holiday!"

I not not being mean guy but come on!!!!! How much money has the Creek saved you????

Paul Atkins
12-18-2008, 3:40 AM
I'll third that. For me, worth alot more than a couple of cups at Starbucks .

Jim Becker
12-18-2008, 8:48 AM
Gene, at this point, SMC continues to be available to you for free because of those ads, but as others have already mentioned, a simple $6 donation will allow you to turn them off to match your viewing preference and also will get you more features, both now and in the future. The special things that Keith has and will have Aaron working on (Aaron is a paid administrator) will only be accessible to contributors.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Glenn Clabo
12-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Go here and pay $6.00 or so ... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/payments.php
Then go to UserCP and choose to not see ads.
AND then hurry up and sign up for all the great Freestuff drawings!

Angus Hines
12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
$6.00 Bucks is cheaper than an extra large bottle of Pepto.

Ed Hazel
12-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I not not being mean guy but come on!!!!! How much money has the Creek saved you????

I only found this forum a short while ago and it has cost be plenty, my must have tool list is growing exponentially some of these tools I did not even know about until I heard about them at the Creek!

Dewey Torres
12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I only found this forum a short while ago and it has cost be plenty, my must have tool list is growing exponentially some of these tools I did not even know about until I heard about them at the Creek!

$$$ Spent on tools isn’t a bad thing as long as they are not crappy ones. Hey, one note though: I took me a very very long time before I was able to take on a project and I didn't have to buy at least one tool at some point to get it finished or started even. It will get better as you go. If you are good at it you only buy them once. That is where SMC saves you money. We would like to see your projects so make sure to takes pic for us:)

Angus Hines
12-18-2008, 12:29 PM
LOL I know the feeling.....I now have a ShopBot, and some other big items on the way Thanks to the Creek

Larry Edgerton
12-19-2008, 8:09 AM
I have been making a living at woodwork for thirty years and I learn from this site. I learned about VFD's yesterday, and I am excited about the possibilitys, well worth the money that alone.

Oh, I find the Dewalt thing distracting too, I think that is what they were going for. :)

Maurice Ungaro
12-19-2008, 8:20 AM
Guys, some people get.....some never will.

Jason Beam
12-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Gene, if you're still watching (i suspect you aren't, but will try anyway)

Since no other non-contributors have given you a reply, I figure I'll throw my $.0007 into the mix. I'm not going to try to convince you to contribute. That's entirely up to you.

But threatening to "go somewhere else" because you don't like the ads? What do you think that accomplishes? So far, we've seen that it really just gets you criticized by those who've contributed.

Bottom line is, the ads pay the bills because of people like you and me won't. We have a choice to pay to not see ads, most sites don't even offer that choice. Yeah, sometimes those who chose to contribute get a little high handed about it, but really you just have to take that with a grain of salt.

You don't want to see ads? You have two options: Pay up, or go away. I personally think the ad's are just fine. So I've taken the third route: Put up with something that keeps allowing me to get what I come here for.

Honestly, how bad are the ads? They don't hurt me any - i don't really see them anymore (shh, don't tell the advertisers that!)

It's a small annual price to pay to keep the ads quiet. The others have given you plenty of reason to see the value in it. On the other hand, if you can't tolerate the ads, that's absolutely your choice as well.

Again, I'm pretty sure this was your last jab before leaving. I hope I'm wrong about that because it's a pretty childish way to behave, imho. Hopefully you were just venting and you'll stick around - either as a contributor or as a regular member. Most of the value this site provides is in it's members - most of whom are non-contributors. I'd like you to be among them. :)

David Sallee
12-19-2008, 1:38 PM
Gene, if you're still watching (i suspect you aren't, but will try anyway)

Since no other non-contributors have given you a reply, I figure I'll throw my $.0007 into the mix. I'm not going to try to convince you to contribute. That's entirely up to you.

But threatening to "go somewhere else" because you don't like the ads? What do you think that accomplishes? So far, we've seen that it really just gets you criticized by those who've contributed.

Bottom line is, the ads pay the bills because of people like you and me won't. We have a choice to pay to not see ads, most sites don't even offer that choice. Yeah, sometimes those who chose to contribute get a little high handed about it, but really you just have to take that with a grain of salt.

You don't want to see ads? You have two options: Pay up, or go away. I personally think the ad's are just fine. So I've taken the third route: Put up with something that keeps allowing me to get what I come here for.

Honestly, how bad are the ads? They don't hurt me any - i don't really see them anymore (shh, don't tell the advertisers that!)

It's a small annual price to pay to keep the ads quiet. The others have given you plenty of reason to see the value in it. On the other hand, if you can't tolerate the ads, that's absolutely your choice as well.

Again, I'm pretty sure this was your last jab before leaving. I hope I'm wrong about that because it's a pretty childish way to behave, imho. Hopefully you were just venting and you'll stick around - either as a contributor or as a regular member. Most of the value this site provides is in it's members - most of whom are non-contributors. I'd like you to be among them. :)

Very well said Jason... I too was just a member for a bit then I upgraded with the $6.00 donation.... I didn't mind the ads though, I just got used to them.... I donated because I seen a value for that $6.00 donation. The value was in the information I had gotten off this site and from it's members, contributors and non contributors alike. To me, that information was WELL worth that 6.00 fee... PLUS I now get to register for FREE STUFF!!

My renewal is coming up in a few months and you better believe I'll be donating again! Because of the valuable information I have received here this year and the money I have saved from this information, I'm not giving $6.00 this year, I'm upping it quite a bit!

It is well worth it in my opinion! That's my .02 cents...

Dave

Gene E Miller
12-20-2008, 6:29 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

I have donated to this forum because of all of the valuable
information and advice that can be gotten here and because
of all of the services that are available I continue
to keep the ads as now and then I see something that
might be of interest or use to me and I click on them.

What does it do, it just helps the folks that run this
site who I might add do a fantastic job, keep the
wonderful services available to everyone. Those that
contribute and those that don't.

Every once and a while I just click an ad just to be clicking
as I know from experience that every click will put a few
pennies in the cash register and that will help keep this
forum around.

Gene

Gene Michael
12-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Before I get folks upset for not contributing, here's what happened last year. Will follow this with a question.

Sent in a check on December 9, 2007 for $25. Nothing happened in December and nothing in January - I wqas still listed as a member. Did a couple of contacts asking for help to get this straightened out. Finally, on February, 12, 2008 I was listed as a contributor. I thought status lasted for a year. If I'm wrong, please explain the time lines to me so I'll know going forward.

I do believe in contributing and do appreciate the help from experienced woodworkers. My intention is to contribute in 2009. I would like to know how frequently contributions are needed. :confused:

Andrew Nemeth
12-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Gene,

I know the site is switching to different accounting software and in the process several people had there memberships expire prematurely. From what I gather, the new system will keep you as a contributor for a full year from your donation date. The old system was based on a calendar year and contributor status roughly ran from the fund drive in Nov to the following Nov. I'm sure one of the administrators or moderators will clarify this for you if you have any questions, but for the time being I thought I would try to clear things up for you.

Jackie Outten
12-21-2008, 1:17 PM
Gene,

Thank you for the information. Your contributor status has been updated and will be active until February 12, 2009.

Thanks.

Jackie

Darryl Hazen
12-21-2008, 2:14 PM
For anyone curious as to how many days they have before renewal, click on User CP in the upper left corner of the logon page. The number of days you have left is posted at the very top of the User CP page.