PDA

View Full Version : Question on finishing a turning.

Brent Grooms
12-17-2008, 10:23 PM
I finished a bowl for a christmas present to LOML and currently have about 4 coats of Danish oil on it. I was thinking of adding some wax and a buffing to give it a bit more life. Any preferred wax or other ideas?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Brent,

If you are using a buffing outfit like a Beal buffing system, try it first. Then decide if you need wax.

I seldom feel it necessary to add wax to Danish oil but the carnuba wax that comes with the Beal buff works fine for me.

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Brent I agree with Ken. I don't use wax on my bowls finished with Antique Oil. Doesn't need it and won't last long anyway if it is being used.

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Brent - I used to use Danish oil for everything but have switched over to poly. Just a personal choice... but I always buffed everything out with the Bealle system and that comes with carnuba wax. Only problem with carnuba is it can dull fairly fast and does not hold up to moisture - meaning it will show water drops instantly!

Have heard a lot of folks like Renaissance wax in that it does hold up to moisture and doesn't show finger prints like carnuba does. I haven't tried it yet but plan on picking some up soon and give it a try.

Bill Blasic
12-18-2008, 5:40 AM
Steve,
I use Conservator's Wax from Lee Valley. It is about half the price of Renaissance wax and I find no difference between the two.

Brent Grooms
12-18-2008, 6:43 AM
Thanks everyone, I have some Renaissance wax for my shop iron so I may give it a try. I don't have a Beal system yet but I do have a buffing arbor that I may try. I will post picts of the finished piece after christmas!

Roger Wilson
12-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Steve,
I use Conservator's Wax from Lee Valley. It is about half the price of Renaissance wax and I find no difference between the two.

Once you've applied the wax, do you buff it out on a Beall (or other machine) buffer, or just buff it by hand ?

Thanks.

Bill Bolen
12-18-2008, 12:56 PM
On the beall the wax is applied to the buffing wheel and while buffing the wax is transfered to your project. I usuall give it a mild hand buff with a soft cloth as a final step...Bill...