PDA

View Full Version : problem with bent wood

Jerry Nettrour
12-17-2008, 9:45 PM
I built some 36" wide 42" tall upper cabinets. They turned out great. A few of the doors though I regretfully used styles that were bent. This is hard maple. Now, a couple of the doors, when the door is closed, the inner style (not the hinge side style, the other style) touches the cabinet at the top but purtrudes out about 1/2" from the cabinet at the bottom. This is because the style is bent. I am tempted to rest the style over some object in the middle (like a teeter totter) while attempting to bend the style backwards in order to try to straighten out the bend. Not sure if this will work. I have read some about steam bending but I don't think that is what I need to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

William Hutchinson
12-17-2008, 10:20 PM
This is how Charles Neil corrects a twist in a door: (goto Quick Woodworking Tips)

http://www.antiquesbuiltdaily.com/tips.htm

Frank Drew
12-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Jerry,

I'd be surprised if you can remove the door and bend it back into straightness, but you might try leaving it where it is and holding it in the closed (straightened) position, maybe with a wedge or two, to see if over time, meaning several weeks, it relaxes into where you'd like it. This sometimes works with house doors.

Mostly though, warped wood is warped wood, and the only thing for it is not to use it in the first place.

Gene Howe
12-18-2008, 9:16 AM
This is how Charles Neil corrects a twist in a door: (goto Quick Woodworking Tips)

This is good info. Thanks for posting this site.
I always add a little fabric softener to the hot water. Softener works great for most all bending procedures.

Chip Lindley
12-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Mostly in our woodworking journey we learn by doing, OR by doing it Over! Doubtful that you will find a solution to bowed stiles on your doors. Seasoned wood milled straight will usually remain straight! Any stress is quickly evident. If your doors bowed over time, I suggest the wood was not fully dried, and bowed toward the outside as they lost moisture in your dry home environment.

When I mill wood I let it *rest* for a few days just to see if any parts are going to bow before I invest them further in the assembly process. Better safe than sorry! Easy for me to say, but I too, have had a few disappointments.

Since you made your own doors, you can make them again! Go so far as to bring the rails and stiles inside for a few days before shaping and assembling. Good Luck, and Merry Christmas!

Lee Schierer
12-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Some cabinets with tall doors use spring type catches at the top and another at the bottom to keep the doors in place. Unless the stile is really stiff, a spring catch should hold it in teh tightly closed position and over time it may stay there.

John Schreiber
12-18-2008, 11:24 AM

This might work for now, but as the wood comes back to equilibrium with its environment, it will very likely happen again. I think that this is often done with stock furniture so that it looks good at the store, but over time it deforms.

Still, it's worth a try, but be prepared to go back to the shop.