PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum bag clamps? And bag size?

richard poitras
12-17-2008, 9:29 PM
Vacuum bag clamps? And bag size?
I was just wondering if anyone has used Joewoodworkers bag clams on a large bag as in say taking a 4’ x 4’ bag and using one of his clamps to clamp it in half and then put your project in and then clamp the open end. Just wondering how well it would work and if it would leek more than say just using one clamp at one end and just vacuum out the whole bag. The reason being is I am just trying to save on possible only buying one bag. Basically when doing small stuff a large bag can be a bite cumbersome and using it that way you also don’t take up as much space in the shop while the system is running and it doesn’t take as much time to deflate the bag. Has anyone done this and how well does it work or should I just buy one large and one small bag?

Jim Becker
12-17-2008, 9:36 PM
Joe's clamps work pretty darn good. My only (minor) complaint is that I wish they were about an inch longer. My bag is 2' x 4', so I have not tried the "halving it" technique you describe, but I don't foresee any issue as long as you are careful applying the clamps.

Michael Pauly
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't even have a vacuum setup so take this for what it's worth, but I'd think if the clamp will seal the open end, I don't see why it wouldn't seal the middle just as well.

Jim Dailey
12-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I haven't looked on Joewoodworkers site in a long time so I have no mental image of his clamps but...

Don't over think this.... ;)

My 1st vacuum bag was made out of an old water bed.... :eek:

And the open/feed end was sealed by rolling the excess "bag" around a broom stick & held in place with a few spring clamps until the vacuum pump removed the air & the material seal itself tight around the broom stick. :rolleyes:

Low tech... with high tech results.

jim

Steve Rozmiarek
12-18-2008, 1:49 AM
Richard, I only have a 4x8 bag, from Joe, and i don't think you'll see any benefit to doing this. It really dosen't take that long to get the air out of a bigger bag. The clamp in the middle won't change the fact that you still have a big bag laying on your bench, taking up room. I have just rolled the excess up on my system, when I have a smaller project "cooking".

Paul Atkins
12-18-2008, 2:36 AM
Just what Steve says. I have a 50" x 100" bag and have glued 12" x 12" panels very easily. Just keep the bag rolled up to your work and there is hardly any air in there anyway. My first vacuum pump was an old car air conditioner compressor -The guy that has it now still uses it after 15 years.

richard poitras
12-18-2008, 8:25 PM
Thanks guys, new to vacuum pressing, Joe has the 4’ x 4’ bags on sale tomorrow I am giving him call to place my order.
Happy Holidays

Dewey Torres
12-18-2008, 8:31 PM
Rich,
I have that same setup and I have done it both ways. You are going to be fine for now but later you will want a smaller bag as you will find it helps to have a bag close to your project size. If you are anything like me you are going to love your new system.