PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Tree Bowls & Pen

Maylon Harvey
12-17-2008, 8:50 PM
I help my cousin make maple syrup every spring. Last year we made almost 400 gallons. His woods are also where I get my firewood, about 30 face cords a year. And my firewood pile is where I get a lot of my bowl material. I have a hard time burning a lot of it cause so many of the pieces look so promising to make a bowl. I keep saving out this piece and that piece until finally I have such a pile saved in the garage that I have to put most of it back to burn, only saving what looks the best. Anyway, this past spring in a wind storm he lost a big limb off the biggest hard maple in his woods, probably 4 foot in diameter. That tree has produced a lot of syrup over the years. Needless to say, I cut it up for firewood. When I was splitting it this fall I noticed some it had a little spalting going on. So I saved out a couple of pieces. I turned these 2 small bowls and pen out of it for him. The bigger bowl is 7 ½ x 2 ¼, the smaller one is 6 ½ x ¾ , Antique Oil buffed. The curve on the big bowl actually is continuous and doesn’t have that flat spot a little from the base like the picture makes it look. I’m not a photographer which is quite apparent.

Maylon Harvey
12-17-2008, 8:51 PM
The Sugar Tree Pen
Just a simple click pen

Curt Fuller
12-17-2008, 9:44 PM
Out here in the desert of Utah. where nearly every tree we have is an import, I just can't imagine what it would be like to have a wood pile full of such pretty wood. The bowls and pen are all beauties!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Boy Maylon those are beauties. Very nicely done. I am like Curt. Out here on the plains of Kansas it sure would be nice to have something besides Elm and Cottonwood.

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Very impressive work Maylon! Love the wood! Absolutely beautiful! Great looking bowls and pen! Seriously - very nice work!

Jon Lanier
12-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Really nice. Gorgeous wood!

Jim Kountz
12-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Good job, I love the pen!!

Steve Mawson
12-18-2008, 9:30 PM
Fantastic, all great.

Maylon Harvey
12-19-2008, 9:54 PM
Thanks gentleman for your kind comments