PDA

View Full Version : Internet Telephony

Ed Weiser
06-14-2004, 5:35 PM
My 12-year old son (a real live computer geek) introduced me to a concept that I truly hadn't heard about previously--internet based telephone service. We have a PBX type phone system at home based on a Panasonic digital system, which makes life with teenagers, internet browsing and finding folks around the house substantially easier. The problem is related to lightning damage to the system. We have grounded and protected every incoming line--AC, phone, cable--all to no avail. The alternative to replacing the main PBX controller unit is to replace the system with a non-PBX unit. Since we already have an Ethernet 10/100 LAN with DSL service, my son tells me this is "a no brainer" and we should replace the PBX system with an IP phone-based approach.
The questions are: (1) Any experience with these IP phones in a home environment? (2) Anyone aware of sites to get additional information and guidance on this subject (IP Telephony)?
Thanks in advance to everyone.

Ed Weiser

Chris Padilla
06-14-2004, 5:44 PM
Well I happen to work for a company that makes IP phones...as does Mr. Becker. We are competitors here. :) I've had an IP phone on my desk (naturally) for about 3 years. The s/w is solid now. Dunno if Cisco is pricey for residential use, however, but I don't know what they charge to be honest. I just help design them to be tanks! :D

(That would be Cisco Systems for me and Avaya for Jim)

Ken Garlock
06-14-2004, 6:07 PM
Before I retired from Texas Instruments, the entire company converted to VOIP (voice over internet protocol.) The system worked well, and heck it was a local call to any place TI had a site - India, France, Germany, Japan, etc. Yes, it was a Cisco system, is there anybody else?

Tyler Howell
06-14-2004, 6:09 PM
Ed,
I speak IP, but more my langage is grounding and bonding. I stick metal poles 10-300 feet in the air and dare the good lord to take a swipe at em. She's pretty accurate and ruthless at times:eek: . Still sweeping up the smoldering ruins of a 60 foot metal building that got hit last week.
My message is when you have done your best it still isn't enough with lightening. It travels along phone and power cables. Up your water pipe and down your chimney.
You should see the stack of PCs after the last storm.
The best you can do is ground, bond, harden, and pray.
Unplugging power, cable and phone lines during an electrical storm will help too.;)