PDA

View Full Version : Angus, we hijacked Dmitriy's thread!

Neville Stewart
12-17-2008, 3:21 PM
1.Preview Cutting Path
2.Load Bit
3.Secure Workpiece
4.Z-Zero Routine
5. Clear Table
6. Locate XY
7. Record XY
8. Set RPM
9. Safety Glasses
10.Start Spindle
11.Load File
12.Set Offset If Required
13.Dust Collection On

That looks pretty comprehensive. You'll only need to record x&y if you place a blank anywhere other than Zero Zero(& remember to offset 2D), so you can go back to the "Temporary 00". Also remember when you designed a part, to zero tool at the same plane, eg table or material. A good habit to get into is to place your bit in the file name eg shell-25em or bird-125bn, It reminds you which file to load & which bit you selected. Get some cheap bits first, get some blue foam sheets, and just keep trying. Regardless of how many times I read the tutorials it still took a few times before they really fit in your mind, ( at least mine any way ) Too much Guinness as a teenager :-)

Angus Hines
12-17-2008, 4:35 PM
Offset thats a confusing one because I'm used to working everything from a top left 0,0 on the laser now I have to go from the bottom left corner.

Why would I need to start something at say M2 22,33 ? and not just place it at 0,0?

Sorry bout the hiJack Dimetry!

Neville Stewart
12-17-2008, 5:21 PM
Well lets say you were doing the same part twice, cut one at real 00, then move to 2nd 00, cut second part, while you remove tabs, screws etc Also if doing a long 3D file it will wear more if you only use table 00 as start point all the time. Its probably harder to explain than for you to look at your table & think " it would be easier if I did this over here..." With a laser & design under your belt your way ahead of the curve.

Angus Hines
12-18-2008, 10:05 AM
LOL that is the hard part having laser Exp. with the laser I just put part xyz where I want it on the drawing and the laser thinks about the rest.

Angus Hines
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
LOL meant to ask this the other day. What are good cheap bits? and best source?

Get some cheap bits first,

Neville Stewart
12-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Woodcraft ( at my store any way ) has great starter bits, 1/4 straight, 3/8 straight, 1/2 V 90, 1/2 ball - I still use the 90V's theyre all carbide tipped but very sturdy &.... DISPOSABLE. Another thing, when you havent run a part before or its been a few days away from the machine, its a great idea to "Air cut" your part to see what it does in the first few moves. You can stop it after a minute, reset & off you go.