PDA

View Full Version : First Pens Sold...

Billy Tallant
12-17-2008, 2:12 PM
Just got started turning & making pens the last few weeks. I had 8 pens made up. 6 wood & 2 antler pens. Sold all of them the first day I took them to school where I work. I have another order for 7 more, all out of antler so I will need to get busy. I enjoy working with the antler but it is hard to get a nice straight hole drilled through that antler. Those curved shapes do cause me to have to work a little harder. This hobby is very addicting. Spending a lot more time in the shop now.

David Walser
12-17-2008, 2:14 PM
Billy,

It must double your enjoyment knowing people admire your work enough to pay for it. Good job!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2008, 2:42 PM
I agree. Your pleasure will definitely increase because people admire and want your product.

Skip Spaulding
12-17-2008, 2:47 PM
Good for you Billy, nice your hobby can help pay for itself. I also have a little trouble getting a straight section for the bit. At least by drilling off center you do get a little better color and texture as one of the guys on this site pointed out to me. Have a Great Christmas, Skip

Jim Kountz
12-17-2008, 3:53 PM
Way to go Billy! I agree with you, turning is addictive!! Other than cut blanks and stuff I havent used any of my other shop equipment in weeks!! Congrats on the sales too!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2008, 3:59 PM
Billy - congrats on your sales! Always makes you feel good when other like what you do! Oh, in case you were wondering, that funny feeling you have is being caused by falling into the abyss! Have fun with it!

Don Carter
12-17-2008, 6:08 PM
Billy:
Turning is a fun hobby, but it is a little more fun when you can do something to help pay for the addiction. Congratulations! Those antler pens will go fast. I have started to use antler on the upper blank and dark wood on the lower blank. It makes the antler go farther.;)
Merry Christmas.
All the best.

Don

Mark Hix
12-17-2008, 11:05 PM
congratulations on the sales. It is special when someone admires your work enough to pay for it.

Try turning the antler round or mostly round before drilling. It helps me get my holes done better. I found that if I drill on the lathe, it is easier to get them right too.

Several of my customers asked for bark on the antler pens so now I make them both ways.

Post us some photos so we can admire your work!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Congratulations Billy! It's nice to know someone else appreciates your handiwork!

Keith Christopher
12-18-2008, 6:49 PM
Billy,

congrats! I can still remember the first time I sold a pen. I was amazed how much they could be sold for. Keep on keepin on.

Keith

Billy Tallant
12-18-2008, 9:41 PM
Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. First batch of pens were all slimlines. Next group in progress are a mixture of european, patriot, & cigar pens.

Graham Sugar
12-20-2008, 5:45 AM
You can have a lot of fun with slimies you can put a diffrent shape and style on the pen using the same kit and they are usualy the best price to buy and sell well:D

Jon Lanier
12-20-2008, 4:31 PM
Congratulations. Isn't it fun to sell something you made? Sometimes it can be a love/hate thing because you love the piece you made and would hate to sell it, but you love the money your going to get for it but you hate that it's not going to stay with you.... etc.