PDA

View Full Version : Triton Routers

Dar Lounsbury
12-17-2008, 1:39 PM
I am considering a Triton router. Does anyone use one of these. Comments good or bad?

Thanks, Dar

Jamie Hargrave
12-17-2008, 2:33 PM
Dar,

Which one are you looking at? I have the 3.25hp model and am happy with it, though I only have experience with a 1.75hp ryobi as my other router! The one thing that I had a problem with was the height adjustment assembly jammed up on my first one after not much use. I took it back and the retailer swapped it for a new one which I haven't had any trouble with. I really like the coarse and the fine height adjustment on it. It really helps when sneaking up on a final depth.

Jamie

Eric DeSilva
12-17-2008, 3:43 PM
I like mine, although I can't remember which one it is, the small one or big one. The dust collection is very good, although finding the right hose to fit was a bit tricky. I like the lock-out when the collet is raised fully--just need one hand and the wrench to change bits. Mine's mounted in a router table, and the height adjuster works well--I probably would have preferred height adjustment on the base or through the base, but leaning over to twist the knob hasn't been bad.

For the fine adjuster, you can remove the spring in a router table configuration to make it easier to move. Just be aware that when you loosen it to remove the spring, hold on... Otherwise your spring might leap across the shop and behind some boards, taking a bunch of little washers and stuff with it. Not that I'd personally do something like that. :rolleyes:

John Grogan
12-17-2008, 3:44 PM
I have the triton 2 1/2 hp (i think) as a dedicated table router. It got great reviews when it came out a year or two ago, principally because of its above table adjustments. In this situation I love it. However, I have not used it as a hand router. For that I have a DW and PC. Of those the DW is better

Shawn Honeychurch
12-17-2008, 3:44 PM
You may want to read over these two following threads regarding the future of Triton.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98157&highlight=triton

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98619&highlight=triton

Gordy Anderson
12-17-2008, 3:53 PM
I just bought a 2.25 and it seems like a considerable step up from my Sears.

jerry nazard
12-17-2008, 6:40 PM
Triton 2 1/4. Primarily used in a table. Beautiful little machine!

Steve Bietau
12-17-2008, 9:38 PM
I've had my 2.25 in a router table for the last year. Very happy with it.

Steve

Robert foster
12-17-2008, 9:47 PM
I have 2 2 1/4s and 1 3 1/4 and I am happy with them. I use them in router tables.
Bob