PDA

View Full Version : Quick shop vac question

Ken Cohen
12-17-2008, 1:39 PM
Hi --

Planning to buy new Fein Turbo II shop vac (new model with variable speed control released in NOv) -- and plan to upgrade filter.

Question: Is HEPA worth the significant premium over a 1 micron filter?

Will use for sanding, routing, etc.

Thanks.

Mac McQuinn
12-17-2008, 2:18 PM
Hi --

Planning to buy new Fein Turbo II shop vac (new model with variable speed control released in NOv) -- and plan to upgrade filter.

Question: Is HEPA worth the significant premium over a 1 micron filter?

Will use for sanding, routing, etc.

Thanks.

I remember on Amazon.com in the review section, several people who purchased this vac were able to adapt a off the shelf Hepa filter which sells for considerbly less than Fein unit......

Good Luck,
Mac

Fred Hargis
12-18-2008, 8:17 AM
I wouldn't buy the Fein filter, when I talked to them on the phone some years ago they recommended using bags with their filters "to protect the filter". A much more robust one is the Gore Cleanstream, and in in the Craftsman Red Stripe ( or Red something) size, it slips right onto the Fein filter cage, all you have to do is cover the bolt hole. This filter is a little larger than the Fein, and takes up more canister space....but it's cheaper, sturdier and filters just as well (IMHO, of course). I've been using one for almost 4 years now in my Turbo III....