PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Question Re: R Raffan

Mark Hulette
03-14-2003, 2:30 PM
In Richard Raffan's book "Turning Wood" He has a picture and a very brief description of how to turn wooden spatulas/wok stirrers.

Does anyone have any tips or steps to turning these kitchen implements?

I really like his books/tape but this one thing leaves a little to be desired.

Thanks!
Mark

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2003, 2:49 PM
Yup....I've seen it and have made a few. Save yourself some time and material and cut the stock with tapers. Cut easy with light pressure.....you have to remember that you are cutting more <b>air</b> than you are wood....so tool control is best learned on PINE first...softer wood hurts less.... :-)

Mark Hulette
03-14-2003, 3:10 PM
Raffan suggests using a skew but I'm not "there" yet as to skill level with that chisel- what do you use?

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2003, 5:47 PM
Initially I used a roughing gouge to get the very rough shape I wanted and then used a 3/8" spindle gouge to get the final shape. This approach works OK.....but you do get a better finish on the utensil if you use a SKEW........Practice with the skew and you will learn to like it a lot. Cut a 2 by 4 piece of pine in half (rip) and cut you a piece about 14 inches long. Chuck this up between centers on the lathe and <b>force yourself to use the skew</b> for the entire process of doing nothing but learning how to approach the wood, cut and shape with the skew. This is how I learned what little I know about the skew and I find that I now use the skew for a LOT of my turning tasks....yes....I still get catches and so does Raffan.....but patience and practice will yield you a very useful tool.......

Bill Grumbine
03-14-2003, 7:44 PM
You know, Dennis, that if you rough bandsawed out the handle, you'd have a lot less turning to do, don't you?:rolleyes:

Bill

Mark Hulette
03-14-2003, 8:32 PM
you would cut/split the blank into a wedge shape with the thin end of the wedge intended to be the scoop? Then you rough out the handle (thick end)?

I'll have to give it a try- thanks guys!

Steve Roxberg
03-15-2003, 8:41 AM
Can someone post a picture of what these things look like when completed?