PDA

View Full Version : Paste Wax and shellac?

Jim Guy
06-14-2004, 1:33 PM
About I week ago I posted a pic of an almost fininshed ET. Tod stated
"When I use shellac, I like to finish it off with paste wax applied with #0000 steel wool."
I was going to place an order with WoodCraft today. Anyone got any suggestions on what wax is best for shellac.
Thanks in advance.

Chris Padilla
06-14-2004, 1:41 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax is the old stand-by, Jim. I'm told you can make your own with beeswax and mineral spirits if you're adventurous. :)

Ken Salisbury
06-14-2004, 1:58 PM
About I week ago I posted a pic of an almost fininshed ET. Tod stated
"When I use shellac, I like to finish it off with paste wax applied with #0000 steel wool."
I was going to place an order with WoodCraft today. Anyone got any suggestions on what wax is best for shellac.
Thanks in advance.
I have been using Minwax Finishing Wax for just about everthing for over 15 years -- The only paste wax I buy - Get it at your local borg, hardware store, etc. I normally apply it with a paper towel and buff. I suppose you could apply with steel wool but I am not a steel wool fan..

jerry cousins
06-14-2004, 2:03 PM
hey jim - for the past several years i've been using "black bison" wax - over shellac & lacquer - so far the best i have found - takes a bit to rub out - but very good stuff. i usually pad it on with a cotton rag holding a damp paper towel inside.

jerry

Howard Acheson
06-14-2004, 9:33 PM
As you can tell, it really makes no difference. Currently, I am using Johnson Paste Wax but I have used Trewax, Minwax, Butcher's and others and can't say one is better than the other. Follow the directions on the can.

Joseph N. Myers
06-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Jim,

Briwax does it for me and Woodcraft carries it. It comes in clear, golden oak, light brown, dark brown, antique mahog, rustic pine and ebony. I apply it with #0000 steel wool as others that responded.

Briwax also sells "Briwax Shellac Sanding Sealer" but I couldn't find it in Woodcraft. And I'm not sure it would be applicable to what you want to do with the "shellac and paste wax".

Regards, Joe

Howard Acheson
06-15-2004, 11:00 AM
There is a major caution with Briwax. The original is made using toluene as the solvent. Toluene will damage many newly finished surfaces. Finishes should be fully cured for a year or more before using it. It is formulated as a restoration wax to be used to clean up old furniture. It is very good at this as the toluene acts as a solvent for old, dirty finishes.

Briwax now makes a wax that does not contain toluene which works fine on all finishes.

Hal Flynt
06-15-2004, 12:16 PM
One comment on Johnson's FLOOR Wax, floor wax has a mild grit in it to prevent slipping. Regular Johnson's is good and I like the Minwax too.

Jim Stastny
06-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Any good paste wax will do a fine job.