PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Attaching Benchtop to Bench Base

Ken Frohnert
12-17-2008, 6:46 AM
Okay, I started cutting the SYP for the 24 Hour Workbench that was in Popular Woodworking a few years ago. I am making a few customizations - basically made it 7 foot long and moved the front legs to the edge of the top so they are flush with the edge. Anyway cut the tenons on table and band saw. On saturday I am going to finish cutting the mortises and try to get the base assembled.

For the top I am using 2 layers of basic 3/4" plywood that I have in stock, 2 layers of 3/4" MDF and then will lay a 1/4" piece of tempered hardboard on top which I can change if it get damaged. Once I had the 2 layers of ply and MFD together I was thinking of setting the top on the base and drilling 1/2 or 3/4" holes down thru the top and about 2" into the legs using the old brace and bit. Once I had the holes drilled I was going to pull the top off and put 1/2 or 3/4" dowels down into the legs and glue them in place. Then sit the top back on - hopefully the dowels will slip easily into the holes drilled earlier. I am somewhat worried about the dowels sliding into the holes in the top. Then cut and sand the down flush with the top of the MDF. Then sit the hard board on top to cover the MDF and the top of the dowels. My dad always practical suggested just sitting the top on and counter sinking heavy wood screws into the MDF and down into the legs (of course they would need to be atleast 4" screws) then sitting the hardboard on top to cover them.

There is probably a better method than either of these and I would appreciate your thoughts or advice. Thanks.

Joe Chritz
12-17-2008, 7:17 AM
Pocket screws for the win. If the bench will get lots of heavy use just use a few more than it looks like it needs.

Joe

Bob Johnson2
12-17-2008, 8:29 AM
I did 2 benches with the pegs in the legs like you're doing (one peg in the center of each leg assembly). I rounded the top of the pegs a bit and they worked just fine, I think I used 3/4". What's the worry about the pegs going into the top?

john bateman
12-17-2008, 9:44 AM
I used large 5" L-brackets with #12 wood screws to attach the vertical legs to the underside of the bench top. Not traditional or elegant, but sturdy and easy to do.

John Schreiber
12-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I think your method will work fine. It might be a problem if you repeatedly put sideways pressure on it, then it could develop some play. Another disadvantage with that method is if you are moving the bench and need to lift it by the top. The big advantage of connecting the top solidly to the base is that it makes the top a structural part of the base and adds strength.

Big countersunk screws from the top down is probably the easiest option. Pocket screws or other from the bottom would work too depending on the design of your base.

Ken Garlock
12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi Ken.

When i built my bench this last summer, I put 1/4"X4" lag bolts through the leg top rail and into the bottom of the top. One at each end. The rail is nearly 3" thick and the top is 2 1/4" thick, hence the long lag bolts. My goal was to just keep the top from moving off the base. The bolts have wiggle room though the rail, but not much.

Bob Johnson2
12-17-2008, 6:01 PM
Trust me Ken, the top will not fall off if you just use the pegs, unless of course you live in Ca. I've been banging on mine for 2 years without even a wiggle. As John states above, it does present a bit of a problem though if you want to move it around. The top will lift off the pegs, I just grab the leg assm or kind of drag the beast, I don't move em much. You can always add screws or bolts from underneath after the fact if you find you want them.

Ken Garlock
12-17-2008, 6:45 PM
Bob, I totally agree. Nothing wrong with pegs:) I considered pegs, but thought that the bolts would be easier if I ever wanted to remove the top. The top is over 200# and takes more than a little effort to move it. I would rather slide it than have to lift it off pegs.

I didn't mean to imply that pegs were a bad solution, I just thought I would offer my way. :o

Merry Christmas.

Michael Pauly
12-17-2008, 10:18 PM
My bench top is 3 layers of MDF (ie heavy). I fastened blocks of wood to the underside of the top that fit snugly in the corners. The blocks keep the top from sliding and the sheer weight of the top keeps it securely on the base. I used it that way for years without even fastening the blocks to the base.

If your base isn't super sturdy, fastening the top to the base will add rigidity though.

Michael

Ken Frohnert
12-18-2008, 6:26 AM
I was thinking that having the top lift off may be a plus if I ever move. Then the bench could be moved in 2 heavy pieces vs. 1 very very heavy piece. I sure appreciate the ideas and experiences. I will try the dowels if I am unhappy with that later I can always add the brackets under the bench. Thanks again. Pixs when I am done.