PDA

View Full Version : Shopmaster 8" Var. Spd. Grinder (Delta)

Chris Padilla
06-14-2004, 1:27 PM
I just received an ad from the Toolcrib at Amazon and they have this variable-speed 8" grinder for only $125. 1725 rpm to 3450 rpm is the range. Comes with a gooseneck light and adjustment wrench as well as a diamond wheel dresser along with a coarse, a friable, and a buffing wheel.

It says that wheel changes are tool-less so I dunno what the wrench they include is for! :confused:

I thought this was a pretty good deal. Slower-speed grinders I've seen in the past usually are in the upper 100-dollar range.

Any experience/thoughts? This might be too new for anyone to have but I might pull the trigger.

Ken Salisbury
06-14-2004, 1:54 PM
I just received an ad from the Toolcrib at Amazon and they have this variable-speed 8" grinder for only $125. 1725 rpm to 3450 rpm is the range. Comes with a gooseneck light and adjustment wrench as well as a diamond wheel dresser along with a coarse, a friable, and a buffing wheel.

It says that wheel changes are tool-less so I dunno what the wrench they include is for! :confused:

I thought this was a pretty good deal. Slower-speed grinders I've seen in the past usually are in the upper 100-dollar range.

Any experience/thoughts? This might be too new for anyone to have but I might pull the trigger.
Chris,

I have that grinder and am very pleased with it. You will need to purchase a 120 grit white wheel and remove the black 30 grit wheel that comes with it which leaves you 80 grit and a 120 grit white wheels to get a better grind on lathe tools. The changing of wheels is truly tool-less. I don't remember getting a wrench with mine.

Try your local Lowes (where I bought mine) $129.00

Greg Heppeard
06-14-2004, 5:48 PM
Chris,
Have you looked at the slow speed from Woodcraft? I know that they will charge shipping, if you don't live near one, but the cost is about $95 for the slow speed (white wheels 120 and 60)and $120 for the two speed (white 120 gray 60). Other grits are available fro $21-29. They don't come with any accy's tho.

Kevin Brown
06-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi Chris

I have the one from Lowe's (model #GR450) it came with a 36 and 60 grit wheel, the diamond dresser that come with it is straight from the bargain bin at HF but still funtions enough to true up the wheel, but you'll want to pick up a real one at some point. There is a little wrench for adjusting the tool rest, but I don't use them because I have the Wolverine set up on it.

All in all I've been happy with it, and I'd buy it again. :)

Chris Padilla
06-15-2004, 9:28 PM
Chris,
Have you looked at the slow speed from Woodcraft? I know that they will charge shipping, if you don't live near one, but the cost is about $95 for the slow speed (white wheels 120 and 60)and $120 for the two speed (white 120 gray 60). Other grits are available fro $21-29. They don't come with any accy's tho.
Greg,

I have one not too far from me in Dublin and I also have a postcard for 10% due to June being my birthday month. I may just head up there in the next couple weekends! :)

Greg Heppeard
06-15-2004, 9:35 PM
Chris,
You might want to read the fine print on your B-day card, doesn't apply to power tools. But, if you can wait until the anniversary sale in July.....there's that 10% off everything day.

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Greg...I think I'll wait for July! :rolleyes:

Eric McMillan
06-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Chris,

Let me know if you can't get out here on the day of the sale and I'll stop by and pick one up for you. I'm only about 10 minutes from the store.

Eric

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi Eric,

Thanks! It is a bit of a haul up there so I only go when I really, really need to like for a sale! :) Thanks so much for the offer! It is probably better for the bank account to not go and just have you buy what I 'need.' :D

Greg Heppeard
06-16-2004, 5:54 PM
hmmmmmmmm....need....want....need....want....NEED :D

Dale Thompson
06-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Hi San Josey,
It is a smooth runner and with the mods that Ken recommends is a fine addition to ANY shop. If you do a lot of turning, the 1750 RPM option will probably save you enough in lathe tools over the next couple of years to pay for the grinder. :) :eek: OK - so it depends on how good you are at sharpening your lathe tools. I'm only speaking for myself! ;) :)

Dale T.

Chris Padilla
06-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Lathe tools??? What's a lathe??? I thought the world was flat! :D