PDA

View Full Version : OK to use cling film on painted cedar mailbox post?

Shawn Christ
12-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Odd question, I know. I am finishing up a painted cedar mailbox post for a customer. It's a Christmas gift for his wife. The post is similar to the one in the attached photo.

I'd like to make sure the mailbox and the post are protected from scratches (and somewhat from dings) as it travels from my shop to his Christmas tree. I thought about wrapping it with that clear stretch/cling film many people use for moving. I'm curious if that's a bad idea - I'd hate to have it lift off the paint when his wife unwraps it.

It's a smooth cedar surface with nail hole/knot patching with exterior wood putty and paintable caulk to seal the joints. Finish includes a coat of Zinnser oil base exterior primer followed by 2 or 3 coats of ACE Royal 25-year exterior latex paint.

If you think the cling wrap is pushing my luck, let me know, and I'll go to plan B - suggest he bring an old blanket.

Jim Becker
12-17-2008, 9:00 AM
I would be concerned with blocking (sticking). It may be better to use some loose bubble wrap to protect the piece while moving it around and just use a big bow for decoration.

Jason Roehl
12-17-2008, 9:59 AM
As a pro painter, I'm with Jim on this--blankets, canvas, anything cloth would probably be fine, but plastic would be an invitation for disaster.

Steve Schoene
12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Yes, especially with fresh paint, I would be particularly concerned that the plasticizers in the plastic film could cause damage. I'd use a firm textured but smooth cloth for direct contact with the paint. Moving quilts would be fine, as would a clean old blanket.

Shawn Christ
12-17-2008, 11:20 PM
And so it is - I'll go with Plan B. We can find blankets. Thanks for your help!