PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bowl

Terry Achey
12-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Been awhile since I had the time to finish this rough out. I felt as though I rushed a bit. The base is larger than I like and the top edge design was actually a recovery manuever from a nasty gouge :eek: (hence the part about rushing :D). 9' x 3", danish oil w/wax buff. Thanks for looking.

Terry

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Terry - your cherry bowl looks pretty good to me! The bottom of it may be a little wide but it sits fine and doesn't look clunky. Interesting detail work just before the rim! I know we always see our own mistakes more than others do - but this bowl looks just fine to me! Nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Terry,

It's a nice looking bowl and the recovery? What recovery?...I like it form, finish and wood!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Great looking bowl Terry. Recovery. Whatever it really is a nice looking bowl. I like the embellishment along the rim.

Brian Effinger
12-17-2008, 10:24 AM
That's a good looking bowl. I really like the notch design on the outside.

Al Wasser
12-17-2008, 10:28 AM
I personally like a larger base. I think it makes the bowl more functional since it less likely to tip over in use. I think a lot of the bowls shown on the creek have too small a base.

Jon Lanier
12-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I like the the rims on the bowl... nice save and pretty wood.

Maylon Harvey
12-17-2008, 9:08 PM
To me your catch and the "fix" to hide it make the bowl. I love the edge and rim treatment.

Terry Achey
12-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words, guys. You all represent the source for much of my inspiration, ideas and instruction. As a turning novice, I am truly humbled by the craftsmanship I view on this site!

I'm hoping to also carve out some time to start roughing some walnut stock soon. Sorry to say that I've only got about 3 cherry blanks remaining.

Peace on Earth
Terry