PDA

View Full Version : Intro and first "turn"

Nigel Tracy
12-16-2008, 9:55 PM
Well I'm a long-time lurker, some-time poster and wanted to say hello.

I inherited the "family lathe" about a year ago when it was deemed "unused" by my sister (not touched for ~15 years). I wanted to turn some legs for a walnut table and did so. After that it went untouched for quite some time until I decided a few weeks ago that some pens for Christmas gifts would be fun. And that's when the whole bowl think grabbed my attention--seeing the process here, on youtube, and other websites...

Well anyway that's the long way of saying unfortunately or fortunately, for better or for worse, I seem to have been bitten by the turning bug.

Here's a shot of "my first pen." Walnut pen (on walnut/cherry box--all wood from our property incidentally). I only applied some wax for finish so nothing spectacular there but I'm ready to go to work on some more in Santa's Workshop now... (cutting it close I know I know).

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_jrNIE8PzJw0/SUboMnz1YsI/AAAAAAAAAFg/KB7HYCjSm5U/s640/DSC01030.JPG

My eyes are now wide open to what lies in all the rounds in the firewood pile--mostly beech and sugar maple right now but our hardwood bush is rather large and we can barely keep up with the deadfall and "maintenance" trees that come down every year... some are very large. Oh it looks like yet another slippy slope lies ahead... (I'm already asking for a chuck for Christmas... we'll see!)

Once again, thanks for all the great information on the forum! I hope to be able to give something back or at least show some pieces sometime soon.

See you around,

Nigel

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Nigel - Welcome! Great looking pen!

Lots of good folks here willing to offer advice and help out with anything turning! Best advice is probably to join a local turning club and get some hands on with some turners with experience. A few hours with someone who knows what they are doing can save you months of figuring it out for yourself!

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Jon Lanier
12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the Vortex. Before you know it you'll be making all sort of pens and bowls.

Dewey Torres
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I hope my first one goes that well! GREAT

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Welcome Nigel and that is a great looking pen. Now just keep'em coming.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome Nigel! Pretty pen for your first one!

Hey guys.......We have hooked two for the Vortex....

Nigel.....................

And did you notice Dewey's post?

Nigel Tracy
12-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! (I know that first pen is not exactly a knockout.) And the suggestions as well--I have indeed located the local turners' guild and plan to check out the next meeting in January.

I'm hoping to get back in the shop tomorrow evening. The brass tubes are glued in and I'm ready to turn a few more--cherry, oak, maple, and more walnut. I'm excited to feel how different woods turn and see what lies within the blanks!

Nigel
Gleefully slippin and sliding down the slope...