PDA

View Full Version : "Tis the season for Stoppers"

Ken Glass
12-16-2008, 9:19 PM
Hey Gang,
Here are some Stoppers I just finished for Christmas gifts. They are a combination of domestic and exotic woods. They are left to right: Black and White Ebony, Spalted Maple, Cherry, Rosewood, Black Palm, Ambroyna Burl, Pollyanna Burl, Olive wood, Buckeye Burl, and Hickory from the back yard (dyed Red). I Hope you like them.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2008, 9:41 PM
Great looking stoppers Ken. Those will make some nice gifts.

Dewey Torres
12-16-2008, 9:43 PM
Man, those are as smooth as "Glass":D

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Really nice work Ken! Love the variety of woods and the forms! Gonna make great gifts!

Scott Lux
12-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Nice work! I've done a few stoppers myself lately, but yours are nicer. I really like the black palm, which surprises me since I tend to be a local-wood snob. :o So it goes with out saying that I like the hickory!

Lux

Brian Brown
12-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Great looking stoppers Ken, but I gotta ask. What the heck is Pollyanna? Never heard of it.

Don Carter
12-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Ken:
Great job on the stoppers! Those are gonna make some great gifts!
How did you dye the hickory? What finish do you use?
All the best.

Don

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Ken....those are fantastic stoppers!

What did you use for a finish?

Nicely done Sir!

Ken Glass
12-17-2008, 8:13 PM
Don,
I used a combination of two Min-wax stains I had used on a Entertainment Center I made a couple years ago. ( Flat work, ugh) After finish sanding to 450, I wiped it on and only let it set for 30 sec or so, as too not cover the grain too much. Then wiped it off and let it dry. All the stoppers are Beall buffed with Trip and Carnuba wax only. Thanks for the comment.

Brian,
I could not find any info on Pollyanna Burl, but that was the description on the eBay listing when I purchased it and several other Exotic's. I will research it further and ask the seller.

Ken, Steve, Dewey, Bernie, and Scott, thanks for the comments. Since I showed them to some people at work, I have orders rolling in, especially for the Olive Wood from Bethlehem.