PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - leather engraving

Dmitriy Kumets
12-16-2008, 9:07 PM
I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that's been covered before or is not a smart question. (I did try to search...)

Is it advisable to use something like a shopbot/shopbuddy or cnc machine to engrave leather? The end product is armor thickness leather (thickest I can get) with images and text. Been using a friend's leather machine but considering how deep the relief has to be, the laser is going at 8% speed...

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Neville Stewart
12-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I have a friend who works with leather & we thought about trying that, You would hardly get the detail a laser would give though. Youd get good outlines & staining/oiling would give area definition, but not detail as you would see in a harder material like wood, etc. Stick a 6 inch square on a piece of wood & get a nearby Shopbot user - I'd bet theyd try it for you(if there like me, they'd try anything... at last twice :-)

Angus Hines
12-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh god, I've laser engraved a chicken breast....What am I gonna try with my new Bot.....LOL:D

I have a friend who works with leather & we thought about trying that, You would hardly get the detail a laser would give though. Youd get good outlines & staining/oiling would give area definition, but not detail as you would see in a harder material like wood, etc. Stick a 6 inch square on a piece of wood & get a nearby Shopbot user - I'd bet theyd try it for you(if there like me, they'd try anything... at last twice :-)

Neville Stewart
12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I bet Chicken smells better than leather too!, Man angus, you are going to have a ball with your new machine. At times it will frustrate the heck out of you, but when it all works right, you get a really cool piece of art out of all that dust. Pay attention to all the Goofs people sent you. They will help you see mistakes coming your way. Sorry, didnt want to veer too far off the original post.

Angus Hines
12-17-2008, 1:14 PM
Any thing smells better than leather.....LOL

And Yes I have actually printed out those threads and put them in my manual and yes I have actually read through it (the manual) twice now. But I'll save all of those questions til I actually start putting it together because they will probably answer themselves by then.

Neville Stewart
12-17-2008, 1:59 PM
I recall reading one for a "Checklist" that is probably the most important one you got, even for an experienced user. Post that beside your machine & do it each time until it becomes second nature.

Dmitriy Kumets
12-17-2008, 2:44 PM
Wow Angus - I am jealous.
Just read your other posts and sounds like you have two awesome machines!

The burned leather smells like... well... burned leather.
Hard to get that smell out of your clothes too!

Angus Hines
12-17-2008, 2:54 PM
Do I need to add anything to this preflight checklist ?

1.Preview Cutting Path
2.Load Bit
3.Secure Workpiece
4.Z-Zero Routine
5. Clear Table
6. Locate XY
7. Record XY
8. Set RPM
9. Safety Glasses
10.Start Spindle
11.Load File
12.Set Offset If Required
13.Dust Collection On

I recall reading one for a "Checklist" that is probably the most important one you got, even for an experienced user. Post that beside your machine & do it each time until it becomes second nature.

Richard McMahon
01-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Have you tried to freeze the leather before routing it. As a machinist I freeze rubber and machine it but you have to be quick. If you do it in winter then it wouldn't thaw out as quick. about -20 is good and doesn't make anything too brittle although you still have to be careful of freeze burns.
Don't know how detailed it would be but I reckon you would have about 10 - 15 mins up your sleeve.
Rich.