PDA

View Full Version : Ripping thin strips - which of these two options

Matt P
12-16-2008, 7:04 PM
Which jig is better/safer for ripping thin strips:

GRRipper, or jig (pic attached)?

a) With the jig in the picture, how thin can the original board (i.e. the purple one in picture) become as more and more strips are cut from it? The guy's hand is going to get closer and closer to the blade..

b) I tried the GRRipper, but it was difficult to hold the entire wood piece snug against the fence to ensure a uniform width of cut.

I am confused. Thanks in advance!
Matt

Wade Lippman
12-16-2008, 7:31 PM

a) With the jig in the picture, how thin can the original board (i.e. the purple one in picture) become as more and more strips are cut from it? The guy's hand is going to get closer and closer to the blade..

b) I tried the GRRipper, but it was difficult to hold the entire wood piece snug against the fence to ensure a uniform width of cut.

Matt

As thin as you want. You just use a stick to hold it against the jig. (though the guard might get in the way.)

I haven't used my Gripper in 2 years. There is usually a better tool.

Bob Johnson2
12-16-2008, 7:35 PM
As thin as you want. You just use a stick to hold it against the jig. (though the guard might get in the way.)

If the guy holding the purple board were smart, he'd glue on a scrap peice edge to edge so's he'd never get too close and could use the whole purple board with fingers intact.

Mike McCann
12-16-2008, 7:49 PM
I like using this by rockler for cutting thin strips. it is also on sale now for 18 bucks.

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/36833-01-200.jpg

Paul Steiner
12-16-2008, 8:09 PM
You can rip small strips without a fancy jig. Use a solid push stick, most people use inadequate push sticks. Use a sacrifical fence, maybe a featherboard also. Typically I will cut a new notch or heel on my push stick, take my fence down to 1/4 or smaller and cut. The first pass through will cut a blade width in the stick but leave material to push the stock. Be brave and stand to one side.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/images/1647107.jpg

Joe Scharle
12-16-2008, 8:16 PM
Here's my jig.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1419/Spline_Jig_9_.JPG

Robert Parrish
12-16-2008, 8:30 PM
I use the Rockler jig also, it works great.

Jim Finn
12-16-2008, 8:34 PM
[quote=Mike McCann;993530]I like using this by rockler for cutting thin strips. it is also on sale now for 18 bucks.
That is how I do it and I do it a lot. Only I made my own jig for about $1 works for me.

John Thompson
12-16-2008, 8:42 PM
Here's mine I use with various thickness push-sticks I make for given task.... You can cut them on either side with or without the dust shield.. this was to demonstrate to someone ripping 1/8" strips. The Rockler should work fine but I agee with Jim on just making it or any other jig IMO.

Sarge..

Peter Quinn
12-16-2008, 8:45 PM
That jig in your OP is an accident waiting to happen. My advice, do not use it, do not make, do not touch it. It actually offers less control of the stock than ripping off the fence, and it offers the least control when you need it most. If you understand the physics of kick back, that thing should scare you.

Either make a good push block and rip off the fence or use the Rockler jig or a shop made facsimile. Charles Neil has a video demonstrating his version of a jig submitted to FWW Nov 2005 for ripping thin strips safely, so check You Tube or FWW for that reference. Mr. Neil's jig is first rate.

Chris Padilla
12-16-2008, 9:03 PM
Here is the Charles Neil video on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FullQWi2ZwM&feature=PlayList&p=BB2C24EBD25EA7AE&playnext=1&index=55)

Bill Huber
12-16-2008, 9:04 PM
I am using the Rockler and really like it.

I did wax the inside and it slides a lot better now then when I first got it. It is a great little jig and works really well

Matt P
12-16-2008, 9:12 PM
I'm glad I asked!! Yikes - will get the rockler jig. Thank you everyone! - Matt

That jig in your OP is an accident waiting to happen. My advice, do not use it, do not make, do not touch it. It actually offers less control of the stock than ripping off the fence, and it offers the least control when you need it most. If you understand the physics of kick back, that thing should scare you.

Either make a good push block and rip off the fence or use the Rockler jig or a shop made facsimile. Charles Neil has a video demonstrating his version of a jig submitted to FWW Nov 2005 for ripping thin strips safely, so check You Tube or FWW for that reference. Mr. Neil's jig is first rate.

Dewey Torres
12-16-2008, 9:54 PM
Matt,
I notice no one recommended the GRRipper but it is a top notch product and the only pushing device on the market that holds the kerf open as it is pushed past the blade.

As you go now for the Rockler, Consider for later in your WW ventures.

Dan Friedrichs
12-16-2008, 10:20 PM
How does the Rockler jig work? It looks to me just like it pushes on the left side of the stock, and you have to re-adjust your fence each cut (if you're making multiple of the same width). Am I missing something?

Ken Milhinch
12-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Matt,
I notice no one recommended the GRRipper but it is a top notch product and the only pushing device on the market that holds the kerf open as it is pushed past the blade.

As you go now for the Rockler, Consider for later in your WW ventures.

I will second that. I have 3 Grippers and I wouldn't be without them.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-16-2008, 10:31 PM

I agree...my Gripper hit the sale rack on ebay a few weeks after I bought it. Virtually useless to me.

Ever buy a toy for your cat? Same thing....self made cat toys and shop jigs are almost always better!

Mike McCann
12-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Dan

the rockler jig does work by moving the fence each time. the wood stops up against the jig and you just lock down your fence.

Matt P
12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
I have the GRRipper, and it worked, but my strips were a little wider at one end - I think because as the GRRipper passed over the blade, the tail end of the board was not pushed snug to the fence..

Mike McCann
12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
here is the link to the video on how to use.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=18056&TabSelect=Videos

Anthony Whitesell
12-17-2008, 8:08 AM

Matt

I tend to use a version of this jig for ripping thin strips. My stop block is attached to the end opposed to the side making it easily replaceable. Thin strip ripping with a Grrripper or normal push just won't work well. I tried the Rockler style jigs, but I could replicate the pressure and fence position well enough to produce strips of a uniform thickness. With this jig, the fence never moves and you can rip a 6" board into a pile 1/4" strips in 5-10 minutes.

Ken Milhinch
12-17-2008, 8:11 AM
Using a Gripper I can safely rip strips as thin as 1/8" all day long. Have you ever watched the video on the Gripper and all its applications ?

Greg Robbins
12-17-2008, 9:04 AM
Grip tites work great for this application.

http://www.grip-tite.com/

Rod Sheridan
12-17-2008, 9:09 AM
You guys are going to laugh, however for thin strips I rip them on the shaper using a feeder and a Dimar 707N-125-4 grooving cutter.

The cutter is 4mm wide, 125mm diameter which is a good fit for biscuits also.

Regards, Rod.

Greg Hines, MD
12-17-2008, 9:40 AM
I would use a bandsaw.

I happen to like the Grripper. I use it on the router table all the time.

Doc

Jeff Mohr
12-17-2008, 10:42 AM
here is the link to the video on how to use.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=18056&TabSelect=Videos

I know this is a little off topic...but did that guy in the video really stand there and let the wood fly back at him? Man, he's lucky it didn't hit is face! I don't think I'd do that for a demo....

Chris Padilla
12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Incra products with their indexed movements make ripping strips like this pretty easy and straight-forward. However, getting down to the really thin pieces is trickier and that is where a Grrrripper comes in handy....

Andrew Nemeth
12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
You got it right. You have to readjust your fence for every pass of the stock. The jig allows you to quickly and accurately set the fence at the right distance from the blade to give you an offcut of the desired width.

Robert Parrish
12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Dan, With the rockler you have to move your fence and stock against the jig for each cut. You don't have to readjust it after the initial setup.

Prashun Patel
12-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I have a GRRIPPER. It's good for widths down to 1/8" which is as thin as the inside leg goes. I like it, bkz you don't have to readjust the fence.

However, the downsides are:

1) The rubber feet have to be cleaned frequently with alcohol to avoid slippage.
2) You have to use it with the guard off, which is always scary.

You can keep the kerf open with the Rockler thinrip jig by keeping yr guard or splitter on.

If I had to do it again, I'd use Rockler.

Michael McCoy
12-17-2008, 1:02 PM
I know this is a little off topic...but did that guy in the video really stand there and let the wood fly back at him? Man, he's lucky it didn't hit is face! I don't think I'd do that for a demo....

I have and like the Rockler jig but having just watched that video for the first time ....... that guy is a prime candidate for a SawStop.

Paul B. Cresti
12-17-2008, 1:11 PM
Do you have a bandsaw?

Ken Garlock
12-17-2008, 7:24 PM
Paul has the right idea. Set up your band saw and cut strips until the cows come home.;)

I don't see what the problem is using the table saw. Just set your fence to 3/8" and slice strips all day. Use your Gripper on the outside or a feather board In the last couple inches guide the strip on through with a cheap plastic push stick.

You could have done by now.:eek:

Jeff Wright
12-17-2008, 9:56 PM
I like using this by rockler for cutting thin strips. it is also on sale now for 18 bucks.

I just used that jig and it worked great. I made beading for the inside edges of some face frames for a cabinet. HIghly recommend it.

Karl Brogger
12-17-2008, 10:56 PM
For ripping thin strips, I use a fence, a blade and the table. Simple, and easy to set up.

I hate push sticks, I rip down to 1" using my hands to shove it though. Less than 1" I just flip the stock end for end. All the way down to really thin.

Yes, I can still count to ten with out removing my shoes.

Ken Milhinch
12-18-2008, 2:48 AM
For ripping thin strips, I use a fence, a blade and the table. Simple, and easy to set up.

I hate push sticks, I rip down to 1" using my hands to shove it though. Less than 1" I just flip the stock end for end. All the way down to really thin.

Yes, I can still count to ten with out removing my shoes.

It's only a matter of time:rolleyes:

Larry Edgerton
12-18-2008, 7:48 AM
You guys are going to laugh, however for thin strips I rip them on the shaper using a feeder and a Dimar 707N-125-4 grooving cutter.

The cutter is 4mm wide, 125mm diameter which is a good fit for biscuits also.

Regards, Rod.

I had thought of that but had never tried it. I'll try it next time.

Tom Hargrove
12-18-2008, 8:21 AM
The Rockler jig looks great, but you can make one from scrap you probably have on hand in less time than it would take you to drive to the store.

Karl Brogger
12-18-2008, 9:51 AM
It's only a matter of time:rolleyes:

If you say so, its worked for the last ten years, doing it everyday, 8+ hours a day. I've had one injury with a piece of equipment, that was on a bandsaw, and I wasn't paying attention properly. 5 stitches.:o

Respect what the equipment can do, don't fear it.