PDA

View Full Version : Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls (book mini-review)

Randy Schaffer
12-16-2008, 6:31 PM
For the last month or so I have been researching small lathes and am getting pretty close to making my final decisions. I checked out a host of books from the library trying to learn as much as possible before laying out my hard earned cash on the lathe and tools. I ran across an excellent book and just had to order a copy for myself.

It is:

Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls: The Complete Guide for Craftsmen, Collectors, and Outdoorsmen by Ed Glenn and Greg Keats.

I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. For less than $14 I don't think I have ever seen such a good book on this subject area. The photographs are just excellent, the tutorials are presented so well that a total turning rookie (me) can understand them well enough to feel that I can give this a shot.

The making of mandrels for the call bodies and stoppers is superb. The body artistic design discussion is worth the price of the book itself. The resources for call guts, wood, mandrels, sound board jigs etc is up-to-date.

I am impressed. I now really NEED a lathe:D

Don Carter
12-16-2008, 6:38 PM
Randy:
I have that book and I agree with you 100%. I have made several duck calls and that book is was very helpful. BTW, I got a lathe first.;)
All the best.

Don

Bill Hunt
12-16-2008, 8:05 PM
I agree, the book is excellent. I bought it for the duck call info but since there are few duck hunters in my part of MS. I started making turkey calls. There are a lot of turkey hunters here in east MS and west AL. I see turkeys almost every day.

Bill Hunt

Scott Lux
12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I see turkeys almost every day.
Me too, but I don't call my co-workers that to their faces :D

Randy Schaffer
12-16-2008, 11:05 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2943146860_61ed04439e_o.jpg

Yeah, got to watch out shaking a turkey call at work....you never know who will pop their head over the cube wall:D

I skipped over the turkey call chapters in the book....