PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer Fence add ons

Bob Johnson2
12-16-2008, 3:47 PM
Looking for a way to add temporary or sacrificial boards to the Biesemeyer. I need to extend the fence to roughly 10" high to edge cut some plywood, the stocks width and length precludes just clamping a scrap to the fence side as I usually do. I need a clear left side of the fence.

Michael Roland
12-16-2008, 3:51 PM
I use Rockler universal fence clamps. They just happen to be on sale!
Michael

Joe Scharle
12-16-2008, 4:18 PM
Using the fence clamps, glue or screw your tall fence to a fence high fence to accept the fence clamps. Did I say 'fence' enough times? Whew! Anyway, it works. I screwed mine because I needed to add paper shims between the two to get a true 90 degs.

Bob Johnson2
12-16-2008, 4:28 PM
Thanks Guys, they are on order...

Jim Becker
12-16-2008, 4:41 PM
Take a look at Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic book...his system is great and the one I used with the Biesemeyer clone fence (Xacta) that was on my previous saw.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-16-2008, 9:34 PM
Bob, the fence clamps holding the sub fence, which is screwed to the real fence, making a new fence/fence sub assembly to supliment the Biesmeyer fence sounds like a good solution. ;)

Another way is to make a "u" shaped housing that slips over the Bies. I made mine for a previous saw with one side tall, and one side as the sacrifical fence for the dado head. Just turn it 180 degrees to swap functions. C clamp one end to the Bies surface away from the blade to get it to stay put. I added a couple glue block braces to stiffen it all up. Dang, I did say the "f" word once in there...

Lee Schierer
12-16-2008, 9:44 PM
You can make a fence cover like this one on my saw:
http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/lsfence2.jpg
The side toward the blade could be any height.

You could also embed rare earth magnets into the existing fence faces and also embed magnets in the sacrificial fence pieces and stick them to the Biesmeyer.

Bob Johnson2
12-17-2008, 12:12 AM
You can make a fence cover like this one on my saw:

The side toward the blade could be any height.

You could also embed rare earth magnets into the existing fence faces and also embed magnets in the sacrificial fence pieces and stick them to the Biesmeyer.

What holds it in place? is there side to side play?

Steve Leverich
12-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Bob, take a look on the right side at those two small clamps (red handles) - I'm betting Lee's used a forstner or similar to make holes just large enough for the rubber pads on those clamps to contact the back side of the Beis fence. They could then be adjusted for whatever tension you wanted (within reason, of course)... Steve

Bob Johnson2
12-17-2008, 8:31 AM
Bob, take a look on the right side at those two small clamps (red handles) - I'm betting Lee's used a forstner or similar to make holes just large enough for the rubber pads on those clamps to contact the back side of the Beis fence. They could then be adjusted for whatever tension you wanted (within reason, of course)... Steve

Very good, thanks.

Lee Schierer
12-17-2008, 12:33 PM
What holds it in place? is there side to side play?

It is a snug fit, almost zero side play, in fact it has to be nearly perfectly aligned to get it on. The two toggle clamps keepit in place.