PDA

View Full Version : PSI Chuck question

Scott Lux
12-16-2008, 3:16 PM
I have the Utility Grip 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck from PSI, yes the cheap one.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418C.html

It came with #1 an #2 jaws and it's worked out well for me. But I have a question.

Being a lazy man, I hate changing the jaws back and forth. Does PSI (or anyone else) sell just the chuck body (or a compatable) so I can change chucks instead of jaws? I can't find anything on the website to that affect, so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks for any advice,

Lux

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2008, 3:48 PM
I have not seen the body only sold by PSI. I bought a Vicmarc VM 100 and found out the jaws fit the Grizzly $99 chuck. I have 3 of those Griz chucks with Vic jaws on them. Don't get me wrong I love that Vic chuck even as expensive as it is but saying that if I would have known I would have bought 4 Griz chucks for the price of one Vic and put the jaws on them.

Rich Stewart
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
The PSI chucks are cheap enough. I am the same as you and didn't want to be fooling around with all them allen screws so I bought three of the PSI utility chucks and put the large jaws on one, the small jaws on another and cole jaws on the third. Now when I want to change jaws I just spin one chuck off and spin another on. I think I bought all three when they were on sale one time for 50 bucks each. I don't have anything to compare them to, but they seem to work great for me.

John Landis
12-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Try calling them. All they can say is "no". OK, maybe "hell, no", but if they get enough calls, who knows, maybe they'll start selling them

Dennis Puskar
12-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Yes Penn state does sell the chuck body only for the Barracuda 2 and 4, check out there web site.

Dennis

Scott Lux
12-19-2008, 2:59 PM
Per John's instructions, I contacted Penn State.

I received a prompt and courteous reply (something that is increasingly rare in business).

Sorry for the problem. We understand the pain of changing jaws but, this is
an inexpensive chuck so we do not have a body only to offer. Maybe in the
future. PSI

So I guess I need to browse fleabay and craigslist looking for used. Or I could save me pennys for a bit longer.

I guess I shouldn't complain. If the biggest problem in my life is changing jaws on a chuck for a hobby than I am blessed indeed. I know where my family is going to sleep at night, and where our next meal is coming from. Anything else is optional.

Lux

Brian Brown
12-19-2008, 4:48 PM
This is not probably the answer you are looking for, but PSI does sell a compatable chuck body only (there are others as well). http://www.pennstateind.com/store/XCSC3000C.html It is the baracuda 2 chuck, which is not in the econo line that your other chuck is, but fits all "C" series jaws. If you do buy the barracuda 2 body, I strongly reccomend the barracuda 2 kit ($179), as it has 4 jaw sets, and is a much better deal. Then you will have more jaws that fit both of your chucks. It is $10 cheaper at Amazon, with free shipping. Use the Amazon link from SMC, and the forum gets a tiny commission.