PDA

View Full Version : 50 years ago yesterday

robin wood
12-16-2008, 3:03 PM
George Lailey was "the Last Bowlturner"

http://apps.buckscc.gov.uk/modes/projects/SWOPimage/RHW12280.jpg

He made wooden bowls on a foot powered lathe the same way they had been made in medieval times. He died 50 years ago yesterday aged 89.

He forged all his own turning tools which are kept with his lathe at the Museum of English Rural Life at Reading. He could turn nests of bowls, one cut inside the other and get 4 bowls out of one block of wood. 30 years after his death I saw those tools, learned to forge copies of them and then to turn bowls.

For about 10 years I was the only pole lathe bowlturner. After demonstrating and showing lots of people how it is done there are now plenty of people who can turn a few bowls and the craft is safe for the future.

I spent yesterday turning a very special big nest of bowls as a kind of tribute. I don't do many big nests any more but it was really a very good experience.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/thewoods_album/IMG_6964.jpg

and this is alongside one of Lailey's bowls

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/thewoods_album/IMG_6971.jpg

My wife Nicola did a video which is on youtube showing how they were made.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JIgElQwMJpY

Ted Shrader
12-16-2008, 3:56 PM
Robin -

Very interesting summary. Thanks for the link and to your wife for the video. History lives.

BTW - great work on the nest of bowls.

Regards,
Ted

eric auer
12-16-2008, 4:02 PM
Simply stunning.

Your Dedication and skill is truly remarkable.

Thanks for Sharing.

Eric

robin wood
12-16-2008, 4:05 PM
Thanks guys, its hard work but we both enjoy what we do.

Jim Paulson
12-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Robin,

That was really cool and those tools were something too. The use of a hooked cutting knife like tool was very effective. The longer length of the tools gave you great ability to keep the cutting action steady. It makes me want to make a mandrel and to try turning a bowl on my pole lathe. I've got some Ashley Iles carbon steel chisels coming, but I have no idea if anyone makes specialized turning tools like the ones you used. So far I've been making spindles for Windsor chairs. Good job to you and your wife on the video!

Sincerely,
Jim

Luke Townsley
12-17-2008, 9:10 PM
Robin,

I really enjoyed the video. I think it is really amazing.

Luke

Chuck Hamman
12-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Robin and Nicola,
That is one incredible video; I had to watch it several times. I'm sure Mr. Lailey would be proud of you both.

Thank you,
-Chuck

David DeCristoforo
12-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Awesome. This is truly woodworking. Real, hard work and tons of skill needed to do this. Also have to be a master at sharpening.

robin wood
12-18-2008, 3:21 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments,

I think you have to have done a fair bit of woodworking yourself to get an idea of what is involved when you watch something like this so its nice to share with folk that depreciate it.

I don't know of any tools for the job that I would recommend, though they reallly are not rocket science to make. Just sharpen and bend a bit of spring steel, harden and temper and away you go.

Jim Koepke
12-18-2008, 4:28 AM
Amazing, thanks for sharing.

jim

Alan DuBoff
12-18-2008, 4:44 AM
That is a great video Robin.

That video of the Japanese hewing is interesting to say the least. Funny that I will work at my bench without shoes sometimes, but can't imagine hewing timbers barefoot.

Gosh those bowls look spectacular! :)

Vivian Ecker
12-18-2008, 9:30 AM
Robin,

Absolutely fantastic! Thanks to you and your wife for sharing this wonderful art and craft with us! I feel inspired.

Best wishes,
Vivian

Ben Davis
12-18-2008, 7:29 PM
This is clearly one of the neatest posts I've read on here in quite some time. You deserve a hearty round of applause!

Cody Armstrong
02-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Wow! I stumbled upon this old thread and thought it needed a bump. :) Had no idea how bowls were turned back then.

Bob Jones
02-04-2014, 12:34 AM
That is great. Thanks for posting. I'm planning a spring pole lathe now. I hadn't planned on turning bowls, but I may have to give it a try.