PDA

View Full Version : 93 Set screw

John Powers
12-16-2008, 1:58 PM
Just as mentioned in Blood and Gore, the set screw in the casing of my #93 is seized up. Its got PB Penetrating it right now. I'm not a patient guy but woodworking is making me become so. Any advice on loosening the screw would be appreciated.

thanks

Bill Houghton
12-16-2008, 6:57 PM
If penetrating oil isn't enough, try heat. A propane torch, gently applied until the penetrating oil is bubbling out of the threads, should be enough. Repeat several times - soak, heat; let cool; soak, heat; let cool.

With care: cast iron can warp if overheated, I believe.

Jim Koepke
12-17-2008, 3:38 AM
Stanley still sells replacement screws. Last time I looked they were 70¢.

jim

Bill Houghton
12-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Stanley still sells replacement screws. Last time I looked they were 70¢.

jim

But they also have rather stiff shipping charges, with a high minimum charge - so if you've killed the set screw in getting it out and the Stanley screw is the right answer, look around at their other parts and see if there's anything else you need. You might easily pay $6 on a 70 cent item, and $6.50 on $10 worth of stuff.

You can probably guess how I know this.

eric auer
12-17-2008, 10:54 PM
http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/70220.html

I have one, comes in real handy every now and then.

Eric

John Powers
12-18-2008, 7:48 PM
the way its situated in the housing you can't get anything but a screwcriver onto it. It snapped off clean. I tightened the big screw that holds the casing on and its works just fine. Blood and Gore said a lot of guys took them out so as not to mess with another screw. It's working just fine. thanks

Jim Koepke
12-19-2008, 2:19 PM
But they also have rather stiff shipping charges, with a high minimum charge - so if you've killed the set screw in getting it out and the Stanley screw is the right answer, look around at their other parts and see if there's anything else you need. You might easily pay $6 on a 70 cent item, and $6.50 on $10 worth of stuff.

You can probably guess how I know this.

Hmm, things may have changed. I ordered a few parts a year or so ago, they came USPS and the shipping didn't seem that unreasonable.

jim