PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking in America: Advanced Dovetailing with Frank Klausz

Al Navas
12-16-2008, 1:27 PM
This is the latest video from the series from Woodworking in America, in Berea, KY.

From my blog: This is a video of the *full* session on Advanced Dovetailing

Frank Klausz returns in this episode on Advanced Dovetailing, to share how he makes half-blind and mitered dovetails. He shares tips that are crucial to get excellent joint fit with a minimum set of tools. I filmed this during his wonderful session, at the Woodworking in America hand tool conference in Berea, KY.

The session opened with Klausz talking about his background, and his search in America for "...others who made dovetails like his grandpa made them, back in Hungary...". He later told the audience he has made "... a total of 12 of these, and now is getting ready to make his 13th mitered dovetail joint..."

Pins-first is the order of the day when making both, the half-blind, and the mitered varieties of dovetails. Klausz also uses a sharpened pencil to mark the tails from the pins; and, from the Pins vs. Tails dovetailing videos I filmed during his first session, white glue is what he uses to assemble the dovetails. He considers white glue a great stress-remover when the time comes to glue up dovetail projects - the longer open time of the white glue is good for these, he says. Of course, he is right.

If you decide to download the video: The file size is 570 MB. It will take a while, depending on your connection speed.

Relevant posts:
Woodworking in America: Pins vs. Tails, with Frank Klausz, on my blog... :cool:

Al

The following is a screen shot from the video:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/adv-dts-screen.png