PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Incra LS Positioner SS

Brian Effinger
12-16-2008, 1:18 PM
Hi all. I have been having trouble setting up my Incra LS Positioner Super System. Specifically I can't seem to get anything square to the router table. I was about to write a long post about my trials and tribulations, but I figured no one would read all of that, so I'll condense it down.

After I bolted the base and carriage down I tried to get the pro fence / wonder fence assembly attached and square, but had difficulty. Through out it all, I was able to determine these things:
1. the mounting bracket on the end of the carriage is not square to the table.
2. After I attached the assembly and squared the wonder fence to the table with masking tape shims as is suggested in the manual, the pro fence is really out of square (less than 90).
3. If I square the pro fence then the wonder fence is out of square (more than 90).

So I tried putting masking tape (4 layers) on the bracket to square the pro fence, and then found some shims in the wonder fence hardware and tried to shim that separately. However, if I moved the wonder fence to accommodate a larger or smaller bit, I think these plastic shims would move and I'd be back to "un-square" one.

Am I missing something here. I have a bad feeling that there is something really easy that I am missing, and if I did this one thing, it would all work out perfectly. I read through both manuals, watched the set up dvd, and looked on Incra's website, but found no help. I also did a google search and read a few of the reviews, and they all seemed to indicate that the system was either perfect right out of the box, or needed a very slight adjustment, which is making me wonder if it is just me.

Any help offered by someone in the know, would be greatly appreciated.

Brian "really frustrated and discouraged" Effinger

Chris Padilla
12-16-2008, 1:38 PM
Incra customer service is quite good...give them a shout.

Jason Beam
12-16-2008, 2:27 PM
I can't help much - I only had to shim where the positioner arm connects with the fence - from there on everything else that attached stayed square.

I'd have to look at mine to be sure, but don't those wedges have a single fixed side and a moving side? I think that's why there are 3 screws there, isn't it? If you can get shims in behind the fixed one to square up the WF I would think it shouldn't go anywhere when widening the clearance for a big bit.

Brian Effinger
12-16-2008, 9:33 PM
I'll drop them an email tonight and see what they have to say.