PDA

View Full Version : Laser to Rotary

Brian Robison
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
A buddy let me borrow his little New Hermes pantograph style rotary engraver. I want to play a little so I'm looking at lasering something and transferring it to the rotary. Any suggestions on a material for the laser that would engrave fast, clean and deep?

Rodne Gold
12-16-2008, 1:17 PM
I use perspex (acrylic) to make templates for my manual machines....we grind a suitable follower/stylus and use vaseline to ease the stylus in the groove , but you probably dont need a custom stylus , raster engrave and use a linewidth and depth the stylus will be able to follow.

Mike Null
12-16-2008, 2:15 PM
Rodney has nailed it.

Just make it at least 1/32" deep or deeper and keep your eye on the stylus not the rotary or diamond.

Pay close attention to when you should lift the engraver.

Your pattern will work better if it's 3 times or more the size of your engraving. The more you reduce it the more you minimize the errors or rough edges in the pattern. IF he didn't show you how to zero adjust the cutter give me a call.

Brian Robison
12-16-2008, 2:24 PM
I think it's at 1 to 1 right now. I haven't even opened the manual yet. I plan on doing something in the next couple weeks. I'll wait until your really busy Mike and give you a call.;)

Mike Null
12-16-2008, 9:30 PM
Brian

2 to 1 is the beginning point. I would size my pattern at 3 or 4 to one if you have space on the table.