PDA

View Full Version : American or Brazilian Cherry

Ryan Cassidy
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
It's a tough comparison BUT my wife and I need some help in the decision process. As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm about to start a project for a piece that will reside an open hallway we have. It will have three drawers across the top, a cabinet on either end and adjustable shelves in the middle. Most of our furniture is made of darker woods (factory finishes) and we have stone accents and hardwood floors throughout the house.

That said, I have enough of both cherries to make the project and have some nice 18-20" wide 5/4 boards of each to make a top from. Even have some really nice Braz Cherry with all kinds of flecks and movement for the top.

We are just not sure which one to use.

Pro's Con's of each:

American Cherry - Seems easier to finish (Clear finish), cuts easier, sands easier than the Brazilian but the coloring isn't as red and dramatic as the Brazilian. Might require staining which I wouldn't mind avoiding. The graining available to me isn't as interesting either.

Brazilian Cherry - Great Deep Red coloring. Hard as a rock. Seems closer to our furniture (color-wise, not grain) with a clear finish on it, but I hardly see things built from it and am thinking it is for good reason.

So this is a tough one for us. Part of me says go with the Braz Cherry, but the other part of me says you'll regret it and go with the American Cherry.

Any thoughts on which one would be better to use for a project like this? Anyone have any examples of Braz Cherry or American Cherry projects?

Thanks in advance! I've been mulling this over and just can't agree with myself :-)

Cheers,
Ryan

Chris Padilla
12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
'Merican...for the reasons you stated. :)

Ralph Barhorst
12-16-2008, 1:01 PM
I made a sideboard with Brazilian Cherry several years ago and it looks great. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13081

As a matter of fact it is darker and prettier now than it was when the pictures were taken. I like it so much that I had my dining room and living room floored with it.

Once you are finished just get your tools sharpened and you won't regret it.

Paul Joynes
12-16-2008, 1:03 PM
I love Jatoba. It looks great with an oil based finish (I like the Lee Valley Gel Finish), and its red/brown is very pleasing. It is tremendously durable too. I think that the reason that you don't see it used in furniture is because the general public is unaware of this wood and therefor don't ask for it. It is also quite possible that furniture manufacturers don't use it because of its density. Jatoba is 1.5 times the density of Cherry so wear on tooling will be more and cost of shipping the final product will be higher too. I only heard about Jatoba seven years ago but have used it extensively since then.

If your Jatoba has better figure, and will finish out to a colour that fits with your decor, then use it. Tradition be damned!

Ryan Cassidy
12-16-2008, 1:56 PM
See attached. This is the color of all the Jatoba that I have. In the 2nd picture you can see the big wide slab in the background in addition to the heavy figured piece(too bad it's not as red as the rest).

Hrmmm.. It's a tough decision and the responses seem to validate that. Does anyone have additional pictures of how Jatoba darkened? Will it loose it's luster after 4/5 years?

Cheers,
Ryan

Ryan Cassidy
12-16-2008, 1:59 PM
Ralph - Just looked at your pictures. It sure is stunning! I do like the color of that top and it's along the lines of the color choices we are going with. Hrmmmmmmmmm :-)

Ryan

David Keller NC
12-16-2008, 2:26 PM
My limited experience with Jatoba suggests that it responds to UV light faster than American cherry does (both darken). In the jatoba pieces I've done, they've turned a dark reddish brown over a 5 year period - the reddish color seems to go away upon exposure to UV light.

With American cherry, the change seems to be slower, and the wood seems to retain more red. That said, I understand there's tremendous variation in how the wood responds in different trees, and even from different parts of the same tree.

guy knight
12-16-2008, 5:02 PM
made this amc and jatoba
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/guyknight/Argh003-2.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/guyknight/Argh004-2.jpg

Ryan Cassidy
12-16-2008, 8:04 PM
Yep.. Sorry AMC folks.. I think it's going to be Braz Cherry. Did some tinkering with finishes tonight and so far I like the looks (even better so does the wife :-) )

Guy - That's a great looking piece of furniture! I really like the contrast. Almost makes me wonder what it would look like if I built mine out of AMC and used Braz Cherry for accents (drawers/door fronts) and edging or an inlay on the table top. Hrmmmm

Thanks for all the feedback - Great examples, perspectives and always quick responses!

Cheers,
Ryan