PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead Garret Parts?

Larry Edgerton
12-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I have a large Broadhead Garrett back in the corner that I bought to use some day, and the day is here. I have some fluted columns to make for a entertainment center and want to make them myself. I usually sub this out but I have time so it would be a good time to start playing with the lathe.

Anyway.... I need some new parts, or even good used ones that will work. Is there a source that any of you are aware of tthat may help me out. #1 is that the cam clamp for the toolrest is broken. I would not mind buyng a whole new toolrest if it would work. I tried welding but it broke, tough spot for a break. We no longer have a machine shop in my area.

Point me in the right direction, and I'm off..........

Scott Conners
12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I can't help you with a source, but one of the better places for info is Old Wood Working Machines - www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com). The forums there area a good resource too.

Larry Edgerton
12-17-2008, 1:50 PM
Thanks Scott. I looked around that site already and could not find what I need. Seems most lathes like mine are being fixed up not parted out. I guess I will have to make the part. I have a Chinese mill I do not know how to use yet, looks like I'll have to tackle that too. I talked to my friend Gary Weinmiller who makes a living at turning and he says it is well worth fixing. I may switch from the three phase motor to single phase so I can take it home and play with it.

Thanks, Larry

Scott Conners
12-17-2008, 6:41 PM
Might I suggest, instead of switching the 3 phase motor to a single phase, just get a variable-frequency drive. This will take single phase and convert it to 3 phase, and give you continuously variable speed control like a modern big lathe, which is incredibly useful. http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.16399/.f

Larry Edgerton
12-18-2008, 8:19 AM
This lathe has variable speed already, so It does not matter but that is a good link, thanks.

If you are well versed in electrical devises maybe you would have a suggestion for a WalkerTurner drillpress I have. It is a threader too and so is reversable, but it too is three phase. I run my large equipment off of a 50hp phase converter but I don't really want to run the big converter just for the drill press. Suggestions?

Would that same unit work for a reversable motor? I am dumb as a stone when it comes to electrical. Is that a static converter? I was warned off of static converters because there is a chance that the sine waves of the different legs could come into a state where they were in unison and damage the motor. At least that is how it was explained to me by the guy that sold me my big converter.

As much electrical equipment as I have I should learn more but I start reading anything about it and my mind wanders or I fall asleep.

Thanks, Larry

Jeff Nicol
12-18-2008, 8:51 AM
Larry, I put a small Vfd and a 1hp 3phase motor on a lathe I have and it is the best thing I did for it. It has variable speed from 0 to really fast!! I have not checked the RPM on high but close to 4000rpm. And you can hook up a switch to reverse the motor also. I take it the phase converter you bought is the big one with a motor that weighs a ton? I think the ones he warned you away from are not a Vfd. Any way my PM3520b has a Vfd and 3ph motor right from the factory and it is perfect. You just have to get a Vfd that is rated for the horsepower of the motor you have and it will do the job.

Good luck with your big toy!

Jeff

Kim Ford
12-18-2008, 1:20 PM
I am not a fan of static converters either.

A VFD is different, and it really works. However, be careful with the old 3 phase motors and the use of a VFD. If the wiring insulation classification is not correct you can burn up the motor. That sounds bad, and it is during the immediate, however what it means is that you will need to have the motor re-wound which is still the better solution because of the benefits of a VFD.

Call one of the local electric motor shops in your area. They understand all of this and can lead you in the right direction.

Scott Conners
12-18-2008, 2:34 PM
The nice point of a VFD over a (I assume)reeves drive is like Jeff mentioned, very low speeds, and constant torque throughout. It's also reversible. The same unit that works on a lathe would work on your drill press, you just need a VFD that is rated for the HP of your machine.

I'd give factorymation a call or an email and have them recommend the proper sized VFDs for you.

Larry Edgerton
12-18-2008, 8:41 PM
Ok, I checked out the VFD's and they are going to change a few things for me. I'm ordering one for my drill press tomorrow and will request more information. As far as my local motor shop they never mentioned these things [VFDs]when I asked about getting my drill press working without the 50hp phase converter running, so the heck with them.

My question: The lathe has a 3hp three phase open motor with a variable speed belt drive. It would be cheaper to buy a single phase 3 hp and just use the belt drive speed control than replace the open motor with a TEFC and a VFD. It sounds like running an open motor with a VFD is not recommended? Is the VFD variable speed control better to work with than the Belt drive speed control? Would haveing two speed controls on the same lathe be a problem?

I have this lathe sitting here but I do not know how to use it other than watching my friend Gary Wienmiller in his shop, so I may not even know the right questions. I'll have lots more questions once I get it working. I have run it with the big converter so I know everything works.