PDA

View Full Version : Any Way to "Fix" a Lacquer Finish?

Russ Filtz
06-14-2004, 9:42 AM
I've got some 20-yr old black lacquer chairs that have quite a few scrapes down to bare wood. Is there any "easy" way to fix this? I'd hate to have to sand the entire surface to re-coat. Could something like Krylon Fusion attach to lacquer? or do I really need to do it right (I don't have any kind of spray setup)?

Hal Flynt
06-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Ok, this is not from experience on furniture. I have some experience with automobile lacquer.

I would not use Fusion. It's specifically formulated for plastic yada yada yada.

Lacquer over lacquer bonds much the same way as shellac. The new coat "melts" the underlying coat and "fuses" to it. Depending upon the severity of the finish and dings, you may want to fille the dings with a thick bodied lacquer and sand when dry and top coat with a finish coat. There are some spray can lacquers on the market in basic colors and then there are the automotive paint suppliers.

(DEGREASE AND CLEAN FIRST I have a gallon of automotive final wash that is a solvent based product to clean wax etc. prior to spraying) I have heard of padding lacquer much like shellac and some furniture restorering products are lacquer based where you are padding in some new color and blending with the old. Formby's is the first to come to mind and may do what you want to do.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.