PDA

View Full Version : Application of Epoxy in handle

Philip Florio
12-15-2008, 10:10 PM
I have a carving fork that needs to be inserted 2 1/2 inches into the its handle.

I want to be sure that I get enough epoxy deep into the handle. A drinking straw can be inserted into this. So I figuring the best way to insert the epoxy is to fill up the straw and then squeeze the straw to get the epoxy in. Wondering though how I'm going to scoop the epoxy into the straw.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Phil

Joe Chritz
12-15-2008, 10:39 PM
On some knives I had built using a similar process I just dribbled some epoxy into the hole and sort of turned it around to distribute it. Unless the fit is really tight you should push plenty down as you insert the fork. Especially if you do it a couple times.

You could always "suck" the epoxy and blow it into the hole like a spit wad. :D

Joe

Brian Brown
12-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Mix a deepish puddle of the epoxy in a paper or plastic cup. Insert one end of the straw in to the epoxy, and the other end into you mouth. Suck on the straw. Just don't let the level get too high. :D Actually the best way to do this is just like I said above, but put a loosely wadded piece of cotton ball in the mouth end of the straw. The cotton allows the suction through one way, but will help stop what ever is coming the other way before you get a new taste sensation.

Chip Lindley
12-16-2008, 2:04 AM
Willing to spend $3 or $4 bucks?? I have used a turkey baster syringe, as found in the kitchenware section of Target and other department stores. The baster can only be used one time, but worth it when epoxy must be delivered to some hidden recess!