PDA

View Full Version : Pine Chimney Cupboard

Corey Wilcox
12-15-2008, 9:30 PM
I built this chimney cabinet from white pine that I logged in fall 2005. Some will probably recognize the design from an issue of one of the big woodworking magazines about 2 years ago. I had been waiting until my lumber was dry to try building it. Knots and resin pockets probably aren't everyone else's cup of tea, but I like them and the look fits well in my 1864 log house. Being that my lumber was air dried only the pitch had not set and that surely tested my patience. Pretty much gummed up every tool and piece of sandpaper it touched. As you can see from the photos, I still have to put a back on (planning on using some of my blue stain pine to make shiplap) and add some trim around the top. There's always more to learn of course, but overall I'm pleased with the results. The finish is straight orange shellac. Sorry for the dark photos, my basement shop doesn't have a whole lot of lighting. Comments and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Norman Pyles
12-15-2008, 9:49 PM
Very nice, and it looks like your two freinds like it.

gary Zimmel
12-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Great job on the chimney cabinet Corey.

Long time to wait for the lumber to dry but looks like it was worth the wait...

Dewey Torres
12-15-2008, 10:42 PM
You will have to build another to match the nice dogs!
Thanks for sharing with us.

Jim Becker
12-16-2008, 7:49 AM
Very nice piece, Corey!

John Thompson
12-16-2008, 1:09 PM
Excellent piece and will be extremely appropriate for a log home which I have always wanted. With the economy.. probably not in this lifetime though. When I started WW in 1972 I built almost everything from pine as it was what I could get and it was cheap and I needed tools.

So... I am well aware of the resin build-ups you refer to. But.. things are the way they are and you deal with it.

Very nice piece...

Sarge..