PDA

View Full Version : Quick Router Question-Freud FT1702VCEK Any good?

Peter Quinn
12-15-2008, 9:10 PM
I see woodcraft is blowing out freud 2 1/4HP kit FT1702VCEK. Is this tool any good? Is it worth $130 they are asking? Any owners here at the creek have experience with this one? I'm looking for another router mostly for plunge work for dedicated set ups, seems this kit fits the bill on paper, but I have seen only poor reviews on amazon, which isn't my go to source for accurate reviews. I don't have time to find one and kick the tires presently. Any opinion is appreciated, pro or con.

Nelson Bradley
12-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I got mine at lowes for $99 and use it fixed base and in a table. I don't think the plunge base is anywhere near as good as my dewalt 617. It's just not very smooth at all. Aside from that the above table features made it worth $99 to go in my table and leave my dewalt for plunge use.

Rich Engelhardt
12-16-2008, 5:07 AM
Hello,
Got mine from Lowes for ~ $169.00 three years ago.
I just got around to making a table for it.
I mounted the fixed base in the table.
It's above table adjustment is great.<--it's biggest asset.
I've yet to use the plunge base.
It does require an adaptor to use PC bushings.
$139.00 seems a bit high based on the going prices I've seen, but it's still not bad for the kit.

scott spencer
12-16-2008, 7:01 AM
Lowe's had them for $99 very recently, but $130 is still a good price. IMO the FT1700 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Freud_FT1700VCEK_2_1_4_Horsepower_Variable_Speed_F ixed_Base_Router/content_411774455428) is a terrific table router, and I really don't have much complaint about the plunge base. The table table features are convenient enough that I use it for table use more than I use my Milwaukee 5625 because of it.

Peter Quinn
12-16-2008, 7:19 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like the plunge feature is not great, and it seems the sale on the kit has already ended over night? Wow, that was quick. Screw it, I'm buy the festool plunge router i really wanted anyway. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow either, but soon.

I have a bosch 1617 that works great in plunge mode with a fixed base and an extra base in a table. I keep swapping that router from fixed to plunge to table, maybe I should get another router for the table (second router table, sort of for coping or back up to main table with lift) and keep the bosch in the plunge base, or maybe I should just get another bosch. I really do like it.

Nah, I'm getting the Festool. My minds made up. Now I just have to make up Santa's mind that I have been a VERY good boy this year!

scott spencer
12-16-2008, 7:53 PM
Hi Peter - I know we all like what we like for different reasons, but for every day router table use I prefer the FT1700 to the 1617, Hitachi M12VC, MW5615, MW5625, and FT2200...YMMV, but if you can find one for $100, I'd try it with fixed base in the table and see what you think....you could always return it or sell it if it's not for you.

Ernest Saldana
12-21-2008, 6:24 AM
Can any of you guys tell me what the diameter of the FT1700 motor is?

Thanks

Charles McCracken
12-23-2008, 8:59 AM
Ernest,

I don't have the spec handy (I can get it if you really need it) but I can tell you that the motor diameter is unique to this router so it is not compatible with bases for other routers. Does that answer your question?

Peter Quinn
12-23-2008, 7:50 PM
Hi Peter - I know we all like what we like for different reasons, but for every day router table use I prefer the FT1700 to the 1617, Hitachi M12VC, MW5615, MW5625, and FT2200...YMMV, but if you can find one for $100, I'd try it with fixed base in the table and see what you think....you could always return it or sell it if it's not for you.

I was thinking that might make good sense. The bosch has never been a great motor in the table, has a switch problem where it grounds out after getting filled with fine dust. It seems people like the Freud in the table. But that was a now you see it now you don't sale at Woodcraft, by the time I checked again in the morning it was gone at that price. Guess the "Act fast, quantities limited" caveat in the add was no joke! Maybe after christmas sales will work out in my favor.

Paul Greathouse
12-23-2008, 8:29 PM
Every tool has its strengths and weaknesses, The 1700 is a great table mount router, especially when considering its above table height adjustment.

For plunge router work, I turn to my Dewalt 621 if I want good dust collection or my Dewalt 625 if I need more power. I don't really like the combos. You will usually give up something in quality when you go with the one tool does all concept.

Freud also makes good dedicated plunge routers but if you factor in dust collection, the Dewalt 621 is the winner at that price point. If you want to step up in price, I hear the Fesstool has better dust collection but the Dewalt 621 is sufficient for my needs at a price that I feel is reasonable.

Jason White
12-23-2008, 9:04 PM
I found one on the clearance table at Lowe's about a year ago for $50. No case or plunge base, just the fixed one. Had some dust on it, so I assume it was a display model.

I put it in my Bench Dog router table/extension wing and believe it or not it's a terrific little router! Also, you don't need a router lift because you're able to change bits above the table. A nice tool for short money.

Jason

I see woodcraft is blowing out freud 2 1/4HP kit FT1702VCEK. Is this tool any good? Is it worth $130 they are asking? Any owners here at the creek have experience with this one? I'm looking for another router mostly for plunge work for dedicated set ups, seems this kit fits the bill on paper, but I have seen only poor reviews on amazon, which isn't my go to source for accurate reviews. I don't have time to find one and kick the tires presently. Any opinion is appreciated, pro or con.

Ernest Saldana
12-28-2008, 3:45 AM
Thanks Charles -- I got the answer which is 3.625" diameter.

Larry Charlot
01-18-2009, 3:26 PM
Just put mine in my new TS insert and much quieter, good speed, solid and easy top adjust.

Larry