PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hollow Form

mike fuson
12-15-2008, 8:07 PM
Trying a little something different on this one. I think I turned four of this style finial before I thought this one looked decent. I think I might put this one on a taller piece a little later. Mike Vickory, if your out there, I inset this collar onto the form like I suggested to you on your Mulberry piece. It lets the collar be a part of the piece instead of the collar just appearing to lay on top. Measures 7 wide by 9'' high. Shellawax finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/walnutface-1.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/walnutunlidded.jpg

Jon Lanier
12-15-2008, 8:22 PM
Looks really nice. I like the finial.

Toney Robertson
12-15-2008, 8:25 PM
Mike,

Love the HF.

As for the finial, I think it is just a tad large. I love the idea and IMO if the open part was a little smaller it would be more complementary to the piece. Just a little overpowering to me.

Of course what do I know, I have never done a HF and my only attempt at a finial was not near as nice as ANY of yours.

Toney

robert hainstock
12-15-2008, 8:34 PM
The only thing I would suggest to the finial is even less wood around the openings. Maybe with a Dremel or some other carving tool. IMHO!:)
Bob

Richard Madison
12-15-2008, 8:54 PM
Mike,
Beautiful piece. The finial is way cool. Pay no attention to those skilled, talented, experienced critics. Is understood that you might move this one to a larger piece for better "balance".

Do you cross drill the blank before turning the finial? If so, great job keeping it centered. In theory it should be easy but in practice it isn't.

Jim Becker
12-15-2008, 9:04 PM
That's a winner and I really do love the inset collar! The bulb in the finial did stand out a little large for me, but that's kinda subjective. Richard does make a good validation of your idea that you could make another for this piece and use the original on a larger piece if you wanted to do so.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Very nice Mike! Beautiful form! Great job on getting the collar flush! Very interesting finial! First glance it looks like it was turned inside/out - but then the inside looks to thick, so I am guessing you drilled it. Either way - looks great!

Give you extra points for the imagination - and the photos!

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Great looking HF Mike. Really like the finial.

Curt Fuller
12-15-2008, 11:19 PM
That's an amazing finial Mike! The HF is nice too.

Dewey Torres
12-15-2008, 11:57 PM
The finial really sets the piece off. Very nice work as usual from you. I don't turn but someday I will and I often wonder what the obsession amongst turners to get walls and turnings as thin as possible:confused:.
I know it looks good but is thick for amateurs?...sorry for the thread deviation.

mike fuson
12-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Very nice Mike! Beautiful form! Great job on getting the collar flush! Very interesting finial! First glance it looks like it was turned inside/out - but then the inside looks to thick, so I am guessing you drilled it. Either way - looks great!

Give you extra points for the imagination - and the photos!

Steve it is an inside out finial, the walls are about 1/8 inside.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2008, 12:28 AM
My apologies - visual effects of the photo on old eyes!

Nathan Hawkes
12-16-2008, 12:37 AM
:eek:Mike, this is an absolutely amazing piece. Is the finial ebony, or rust ebonized domestic wood? I think I've seen both types on your pieces before. If its domestic, what kind of grain filler do you use? In any case, it is way cool, and something I'd love to try myself some day. SWEET. ;)

Philip Duffy
12-16-2008, 5:16 AM
Mike, Stunning piece! Well done, and always a pleasure to see your pieces. Philip

Ken George
12-16-2008, 5:29 AM
Mike as usual I am extremely impressed with your work and photos. One comment: the graded color of your backdrop tends to obscure the dark elements of the upper portions of your piece. A plain background might better show the entire piece. Just an observation from a novice.
Ken

john taliaferro
12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
to me it says grab a hold and look i wont break. verry nice.

mike fuson
12-16-2008, 1:29 PM
:eek:Mike, this is an absolutely amazing piece. Is the finial ebony, or rust ebonized domestic wood? I think I've seen both types on your pieces before. If its domestic, what kind of grain filler do you use? In any case, it is way cool, and something I'd love to try myself some day. SWEET. ;)

Nathan, the finial is made of hard maple, ebonized with dye, don't know anything about rust. I don't use any kind of filler, it is just sanded to 800.

Richard Madison
12-16-2008, 3:53 PM
My mistake too Steve. Though it was drilled, but upon closer examination there may be a visible joint toward the right side, second picture. A striking finial in any event.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2008, 4:09 PM
Good eye Richard! Had to enlarge it quite a bit to see what you were referring to! Hope Mike doesn't mind......... ;)

Skip Spaulding
12-16-2008, 5:04 PM
Very nice work, sure looks like a keeper from here. Skip

Keith Spaniel
12-16-2008, 5:21 PM
It looks great .
It has its own unique style.
I wouldnt change any of it.
keith

Mike Vickery
12-16-2008, 5:56 PM
Trying a little something different on this one. I think I turned four of this style finial before I thought this one looked decent. I think I might put this one on a taller piece a little later. Mike Vickory, if your out there, I inset this collar onto the form like I suggested to you on your Mulberry piece. It lets the collar be a part of the piece instead of the collar just appearing to lay on top. Measures 7 wide by 9'' high. Shellawax finish.

Beautiful Mike, I am going to have to try that.

Nathan Hawkes
12-16-2008, 7:43 PM
Nathan, the finial is made of hard maple, ebonized with dye, don't know anything about rust. I don't use any kind of filler, it is just sanded to 800.

aah. The rust I was referring to was a salt/steel wool/water/applecider vinegar recipie I read about that produces a very dark black dye. I personally haven't tried it, but a lot of people swear by it. You do great work, Mike!! Thanks again.

charlie knighton
12-16-2008, 8:00 PM
mike,

very nice piece

on a different thread, a discussion on walnut crotch, but my question is what is your process for sanding the sapwood and heartwood and not getting any of the darker sanding grit in the sapwood

again great piece

charlie knighton
12-17-2008, 8:53 AM
bump......

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2008, 6:13 PM
Beautiful all the way around Mike..!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: