PDA

View Full Version : just finished Black Walnut bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
12-15-2008, 8:06 PM
I did finish turn this bowl last year I think, and it has sat and dried and the wood moved a bit to the shape it is now, so I did the sanding on it yesterday and wiped one coat of polymerized tung oil on it, it will need a few more coats, after which I will polish it some and finish the base, have to lower it a hair and clean it up. :)
Any comments appreciated :D

Oh forgot again, size is about 12" X 6"

Allen Neighbors
12-15-2008, 9:05 PM
Beautiful bowl, Leo. I love that tung oil finish. You do fine work, sir.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-15-2008, 9:13 PM
Thank you Allen :D, and yes so do you :D :)

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Beautiful bowl Leo! Love the wood! Also like your rim treatment - it adds to the shape! Very nice work - as always!

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Great looking bowl Leo. Nice form.

Nathan Hawkes
12-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Beautiful work as always, Leo. The wide gray-purple band of transition wood really sets off the grain of the walnut. Great job!

BTW, is the polymerized tung oil thinned with mineral spirits? I've thought about trying it, but worry about the dry time between coats? Can you steel wool or 3M ultrafine buffing pad it after a day??

Jeff Nicol
12-16-2008, 7:13 AM
Leo, I can see a nice batch of popcorn sitting in the bowl waiting for the next great movie or football game! Simple bowls like this one IMHO need to be used and loved, maybe a bunch of mixed nuts would do the trick also!

Thanks for sharing another beautiful piece!

Jeff

David Pearson
12-16-2008, 2:32 PM
Your bowls are always so nice. What do you do with them all? It seems like you finish at least one a day!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-16-2008, 3:11 PM
Beautiful bowl Leo! Love the wood! Also like your rim treatment - it adds to the shape! Very nice work - as always!
Thanks for your kind words Steve :D, take care.

Great looking bowl Leo. Nice form.
Hi Bernie :) thank you :D

Beautiful work as always, Leo. The wide gray-purple band of transition wood really sets off the grain of the walnut. Great job!
Thank you Nathan :D, Walnut is quite nice wood isn't it :).

BTW, is the polymerized tung oil thinned with mineral spirits? I've thought about trying it, but worry about the dry time between coats? Can you steel wool or 3M ultrafine buffing pad it after a day??
Yes it is thinned Nathan. or it would be to thick, takes not long if the temp is warm enough, I'm not rushing it, and put one coat a day, you could go faster I think, yes I use a fine abrasive for the bonding, see instructions in this link page that give you all the you have to know and do :D.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20050&cat=1,190,42942

Leo, I can see a nice batch of popcorn sitting in the bowl waiting for the next great movie or football game! Simple bowls like this one IMHO need to be used and loved, maybe a bunch of mixed nuts would do the trick also!

Thanks for sharing another beautiful piece!

Jeff
Hi Jeff, thanks :D, it would never be used if it was for me sitting down in front of the TV, other than some news and weather forecasts, while having supper is all I see of it, it's more fun turning wood for me :D :)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-16-2008, 3:16 PM
Hi David :), turning goes in spurts with me, the next tree four weeks will see me turning little and just small stuff while at my sons place with the grand kids keeping me busy, will be fun.
Yes I make to many to all keep, so some are used for presents and others sold.
Take care :D

Skip Spaulding
12-16-2008, 5:00 PM
Another "Beautiful bowl" Leo, how do you do it? I don't think you or Bernie ever sleep! Skip

Leo Van Der Loo
12-16-2008, 7:55 PM
Hi Skip :), thanks :D. MMnnnnn, never sleep ?? yes I do, why :confused: :D.