PDA

View Full Version : My First $300 Pen

Jon Lanier
12-15-2008, 5:48 PM
Elvis is back in the building. This is a commissioned piece for a die hard Elvis fan. It is a Jr Emperor with Alt Ivory blanks. I put the photo work together and sheet music (Can't Stop Falling In Love) together and Ken Nelson did my engraving. Along the bottom of the pen is an exact replica of Elvis' Signature.

I couldn't decide what photo's I liked... Black velvet background or the white. So I'm putting up several photo's.

David Walser
12-15-2008, 6:02 PM
Jon,

That's a wonderful pen and well worth the $300. Couple of questions:

Did you have to come up with the art work, or did the laser engraver handle that part of the process?
How does someone go about getting permission to use a celebrity's likeness and signature on a pen? I'd guess it might not be a big deal if it were just a gift for a friend and a larger deal if someone were making money off the pen.

Jon Lanier
12-15-2008, 6:35 PM
Jon,

That's a wonderful pen and well worth the $300. Couple of questions:

Did you have to come up with the art work, or did the laser engraver handle that part of the process?
How does someone go about getting permission to use a celebrity's likeness and signature on a pen? I'd guess it might not be a big deal if it were just a gift for a friend and a larger deal if someone were making money off the pen.

I was able to get public domain pictures/art work and then sent them on to the engraver after the pen blanks were turned. I belong to several photo services for a small yearly fee and can use/reproduce public domain photo's and clipart... etc.

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2008, 6:57 PM
Beautiful pen Jon and well worth the money.

Don Carter
12-15-2008, 7:00 PM
Jon:
That pen would probably sell for much more here in my home town.;) It is a great pen and you did a wonderful job on it. Congratulations! I am sure the fan will love it. BTW, I am not big Elvis fan even though this is his hometown as well.

All the best.

Don

Eugene Malone
12-15-2008, 7:01 PM
Lovely pen looks Fab. but $300 for a pen that Elvis had never seen? Are they all gone crazy over there? But if someone wants to pay that sort of money for it then the best of luck to you. Are the metal pieces gold? REgards Eugene. ...

regards

Barry Elder
12-15-2008, 7:04 PM
Fine looking pen, Jon! Congrats!

Gary Herrmann
12-15-2008, 8:53 PM
Nice job Jon. The box is good too.

Jim Swift
12-15-2008, 9:20 PM
Excellent work. I'm sure the Elvis fan will approve.
Good Job

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Jon - very impressive work! The entire combination is great! Lots of thought as to what works and where, etc. I am sure the customer is going to love it! Seriously nice work!

alex carey
12-16-2008, 12:38 AM
thats totally awsome.

Bill Bolen
12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
The pen is stunning Jon, and the presentation box is just perfect and adds so much to this piece. Congrats on the big sale...Bill...

Brodie Brickey
12-16-2008, 1:54 PM
Jon,

Very beautiful.

Skip Spaulding
12-16-2008, 5:10 PM
JUST AMAZING!! How much time in the project?

Jon Lanier
12-17-2008, 4:31 AM
JUST AMAZING!! How much time in the project?

I've no real idea. I not a big time professional and don't keep track of my time on projects. I use a simpler model for pricing my work.