PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Shelix for Powermatic 209 or Grizzly G0454

Joseph Hadley
12-15-2008, 3:46 PM
I am considering a byrd shelix journal for a Powermatic 209. The people at Byrd say that the correct one to order is their Generic 20" / 4 post planer journal costing $1195. They also say that the journal for the Grizzly 454 is the Generic 20" / 4 post. A few resellers, including Grizzly, offer a 20" Byrd journal for the Grizzly 454 at $850. I've only seen photos of the Grizzly 454, but the cast frames look like a dead ringer for the 209.

With a savings of $350 at stake, I am curious to know if anyone here at SMC has ordered the one for the Grizzly 454 and installed it in the Powermatic 209. I know this sounds like hopelessly optimistic bargain shopping, but, 1195 is a bunch of kopeks!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

JD Hadley

Joe Jensen
12-15-2008, 6:46 PM
Check with Brian from Holbren tools. He is a member here and has very good prices. He also put my custom Byrd head on ebay so I could use the MS live rebate. Brian is a regular on this forum...joe

Russ Massery
12-15-2008, 6:48 PM
Contact Byrd Directly I had same the dilemma with my Yorkcraft planer 15" it used the generic head also. So I call Byrd to confirm then ordered it for Grizzly at a $300.00 savings.

Joseph Hadley
12-15-2008, 8:52 PM
Thanks Joe and Russ,

I checked with Grizzly and they confirmed that their byrd journal is the generic one that also fits the PM 209, so, I am going to try that. I'll follow up to this post in a week or two to confirm if it works or not.

Russ Massery
12-15-2008, 9:48 PM
Joseph, I suggest you replace the bearings when replace the head. Good luck.

Joseph Hadley
12-16-2008, 2:10 PM
That is such good and timely advice. I was sitting here debating that very idea, had almost decided to pass thinking that surely the bearings would be good, then again maybe I mess em up removing them, plus, what better opportunity than when they are removed, but whoa they cost $50 for the pair....hmmm. But you tipped the scale in favor of replacing them!

I thank you. Powermatic, UPS, and the faltering economy thank you. My kids, who are now getting two new bearings for Xmas, aren't so sure about this!

Joseph Hadley
01-02-2009, 12:40 PM
It is finally installed and works extremely well. As all other posts about the Byrd journal indicate, it is much quieter, makes extremely smooth cuts (very minor sanding needed) and the smaller chips don't challenge the dust control system.

Overall, it adds a lot of cost to the planer, but is well worth it in terms of minimizing tearout on highly figured wood.

Russ Massery
01-02-2009, 2:31 PM
Joseph, Great to hear that you got it installed.Your comments pretty much sum up the highlights of a Bryd head.