PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

David Klink
06-14-2004, 3:46 AM
Hello all. I've posted a few times here, but realized I never said anything about myself.

I go by Dave. The handle I registered with is just a habit of filling in David. I live in Indiana, and started woodworking around 3 years ago. I was born in Iowa, spent most of my years in NJ, but have been in IN for 6 years now. No kids, but a stepdaughter and a step-grandaughter. The first thing I ever made was a rocking horse for her first birthday.

With WWing, I do a lot of intarsia, I also build lighthouses that I sell around here. I'm not currently working to help my wife with her brother, so that's my primary income for the time being. Spent most of the rest of my life in retail sales/management.

I'm learning more about joinery, and have been branching out a little more recently as a result. The bench I posted in the "main" forum is the 4th furniture project I've worked on, but the first that used anything other than butt joints for joinery(Although the one piece I built did utilize some lap joints). I would categorize myself as intermediate in knowledge, novice/intermediate in ability. :) I notice there's a plethora of turners here, and I wouldn't mind trying my hand at that sometime. I'm always open to something new.

I'm a football and baseball (Grudgingly these days.) fan, and my teams are the Cowboys and Yanks. When I'm not WWing, I'm keeping the yard up. I worked one job recently where I was introduced to, and became handy with computers. I'm no pro, but I can hold my own.

I tend to have a pretty decent sense of humor, but beware: I list has my comedic influences, the Marx Bros., the 3 Stooges, Monty Python, and George Carlin. Strange brew, there.;)

Anyway, just thought I'd throw a couple things out there so everyone isn't going, "So who is this guy?" I'm not someone who's going to post a ton, but I hope I can help anyone that I can when the opportunity arises.

Hi!

Tyler Howell
06-14-2004, 5:13 AM
Welcome Dave,

Guess you know the rules. Love the pix.

David Klink
06-14-2004, 5:58 AM
Thanks, Tyler. It's always nice to be around people that share your interests and to discuss them. This looks like one of the nicer forums I've seen for woodworking. Good, down to earth people that enjoy their hobby/calling.

Jason Roehl
06-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Welcome, neighbor! Jump on in, the water's fine here. There's every skill/experience level here, so don't hesitate to ask questions or share what you know, Dave.

Dick Parr
06-14-2004, 2:14 PM
Welcome Dave!

Ken Garlock
06-14-2004, 2:24 PM
Welcome to the creek, Dave. You will find all types and levels of WW here in the creek, as you have probably already found out. You sound like a talented addition to the group, but I am sorry to say, you have to do something about this yankee fan problem. :D

Kevin Arceneaux
06-14-2004, 2:28 PM
And a Cowboy's fan also. jeez. I much prefer the Steelers!

I am a real newby to WWing also. I am lucky in that my wife likes it also, I have been getting a lot of new toys....Tools. Yeah, TOOLS. :)

I have been very gratefull for the help I have already recieved here.

Ed Falis
06-14-2004, 4:55 PM
I tend to have a pretty decent sense of humor, but beware: I list has my comedic influences, the Marx Bros., the 3 Stooges, Monty Python, and George Carlin. Strange brew, there.;)

Welcome, Dave. I don't think that's a strange brew at all!

(Now the Yankees are another matter ...)

- Ed

Rich Konopka
06-14-2004, 5:05 PM
Welcome Aboard the SMC. The water is warm and the waves are definitely small. Great bunch of people threading here !!

Dennis Peacock
06-14-2004, 5:15 PM
Welcome to SMC David..!!!!! Glad to have you aboard. Sit back, relax, wet a hook and wade on in the water. Learn all you can and share what you know. We are all family here and member support is vital to our survival and friendships from all over the globe.!!! :D

Chris Padilla
06-14-2004, 5:24 PM
Welcome, David!

Tony Falotico
06-14-2004, 7:04 PM
Glad to have ya' at the Creek Dave, home of great folks, great discussions and good times.

John Miliunas
06-14-2004, 9:50 PM
Welcome aboard, Dave, though I note that Tyler beat me to the "picture thing" line! I also see you don't have an issue with posting pictures, as I've seen your wonderful bench! Very, VERY nice and you had me fooled with the "brass" vise hardware! :) Most folks who visit here, often become regular active members and it looks to me like you're well on your way! That's cool, as it's a great bunch of people to be associated with. :) The *only* issue I can see is this "Cowboy" & Yanks" thing you got going! :mad: :D Come often and stay long! :cool:

Todd Burch
06-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Welcome Dave!

David Klink
06-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Like I mentioned, I probably won't be a 1,000 post sort of guy, but I'm good for chiming in now and again.

I'll just address a couple of issues. First, I was a Yankee fan before a certain shipbuilder who promised not to be involved in operations threw his $10M in to the pot. :) We inherited him, we're stuck with him.

I've done more than my fair share of cursing him, and thought I was done until the last couple of years. Now I'm having flashbacks, and expect Joe Torre to come out and say Sheffield's a liar and Steinbrenner's convicted. The only difference is, Torre hasn't been fired and rehired 2,000 times yet. When that happens, GS's regression will be complete. That said, Go Yanks!:D

Kevin...A Steelers fan? Oy vey. Well, that's okay. What's past is past, what's done is done. Besides, if it weren't for some blown calls against Dallas and a dropped TD by Jackie Smith, there wouldn't even be an issue. Heh, heh...

Been awhile since I've run across a Steeler fan, though. I knew a guy who was in that dark period. If I feel nostalgic one day, I'll look you up and start a couple of good old fashioned Staubach/Bradshaw, Dorsett/Harris, Pearson/Swann debates! We could even bring it into the present, and debate who's a bigger thorn in the side: Antonio Bryant, or Plaxico Burress. A new Dallas/Pitt WR debate. Make it happen!;)

Anyways, thanks again all for the welcome!

Donnie Raines
06-15-2004, 8:47 AM
Hey dave...look forward to more post from you...with pix of coarse... :rolleyes:

Kevin Arceneaux
06-15-2004, 9:50 AM
Yep, they were excellent Superbowls. I remember watching the 1979 Superbowl in a bar in State College, PA. It was a sea of black and gold, except for two very lonely Cowboy fans. :)

David Klink
06-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Donnie, I'll be sure and work on the pics. I think Tyler will go into withdrawal if I don't finish my bench and post more pictures. Hang in there, Tyler!;)

Yep, they were excellent Superbowls. I remember watching the 1979 Superbowl in a bar in State College, PA. It was a sea of black and gold, except for two very lonely Cowboy fans. :)Very true. That was the worse of the two for me, simply because of those two quick scores you had in the 4th. Randy White was a heckuva player, but when he fumbled that kickoff. Sheesh.

It was lonely enough for me too, trust me. I lived in NJ then, 40 miles from Philly and smack in Eagle country. Yuck.

Great games though. At least we got one back a few years ago, even though beating you with O'Donnell at the controls didn't have quite the flavor it would have if Terry had been playing. Ah well....:)