PDA

View Full Version : SYP Work-bench top.. movement

John Thompson
12-15-2008, 2:51 PM
I built a new WB top of SYP last October and did my annual flattening Saturday. For those considering using it for a WB top here is the movement in 14 months which is pretty nil. I had a small area that rose around .025 (spark plug gap) and was taken off in about 7 minutes with a few passes with a #7 jointer plane. Another 10-15 minutes to go over the entire surface with a ROS and 100 grit... then 10 minutes to re-coat with Danish oil. The white area's will show what was necesary to remove to get back to dead flat.

Here in Georgia the winter temperatures are in the 50's in daytime and in the 30-40's at night. Summer heat averages around 85-92 with much humidity. And we had drought followed by rain. The shop doors stay open in summer much of the time.

So.. hope this helps for those considering as I know some just don't care for SYP but.. properly acclimated it works fine and after case hardening is hard as rock..

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
12-15-2008, 3:26 PM
14 months is a little proud of annual, ain't it, Sarge?! :p

Maybe it moved that much by December '07? ;)

Looks good...how about another shot of the (re)finished product?

Thomas Knighton
12-15-2008, 3:32 PM
Thanks for the breakdown, especially since I live in the same neck of the woods. Of course, mine will be outside all the time, so that should tell us plenty once it's built :)

Tom

John Thompson
12-15-2008, 5:42 PM
14 months is a little proud of annual, ain't it, Sarge?! :p

Maybe it moved that much by December '07? ;)

Looks good...how about another shot of the (re)finished product?

And I suppose you could be corret Chris... as they could have moved 10 minutes after the initial flattening or 10 minutes before I use a 24" machine straight edge and feeler gauge to check for the widest gap which was the .030. It varied at spots.. but .030 was the largest blade on the FG I could slide under a gap. Nothing scientific here as the feeler gauge was used as I wanted to do a thread that might help someone considering using the wood.

I just went down an took a picture as I have to start 4 kitchen knife holders for Xmas gifts after dinner. So.. another "exciting" photo of a WB top ready to "get er done"... :D

BTW.. those twin screw vse jaws on the end are soft maple and were laminated about 7 or 8 years ago.

Sarge..

John Thompson
12-15-2008, 5:50 PM
Thanks for the breakdown, especially since I live in the same neck of the woods. Of course, mine will be outside all the time, so that should tell us plenty once it's built :)

Tom

Interestingly enough Tom... I keep several hand picked SYP studs outside under a break-fast nook over-hang behind the fence. They sit on a pallet to get them off the ground and are stickered. They don't sit directly in the rain but do get soaked when wind accompanies rain if the wind is blowing toward that lower corner of the house. No direct sun-light but are exposed to outside temperatures all year long.

I hand pick these things and use a pin type moisture meter at the shelf before bringing them home. They ae straight at that point and for whatever reason most don't cup or bow sitting out there as some have been there for several years waiting on utility projects.

Go figure....

Regards...

Sarge..

Thomas Knighton
12-16-2008, 4:50 AM
I had a feeling that would be the case. My bench won't be exposed completely to the elements, but it will get some exposure just by virtue of being outside. Knowing how well those studs and stayed, that helps me feel even better!

Tom

Benjamin Dahl
12-16-2008, 5:05 AM
Sarge, that looks great and thanks for the update.
Ben

Neal Clayton
12-16-2008, 1:58 PM
judging by the gaps around thresholds in the original floors in my house, after 100-120 years your bench will probably be about 1-2" shorter. your great grandkids might find it impossibly too short to glue a door up on and toss it at that point.

John Thompson
12-16-2008, 3:09 PM
judging by the gaps around thresholds in the original floors in my house, after 100-120 years your bench will probably be about 1-2" shorter. your great grandkids might find it impossibly too short to glue a door up on and toss it at that point.

With any luck at all Neal.. if it shrinks 2" in the next 100 years or the next 100 minutes for that matter... the grand-kids and their grand-kids will have been passed the knowledge to simply make another one or add a 2" bread-board on 1 end.

This one took around 4 hours to build not including glue dry time.. and it cost under $25 for the SYP for the top. Just in case the grand-kids do run into that situation and the price of SYP rises drastically over that course of time.. probably not a bad idea to run out and purchase a couple of hundred board feet today and store in my back shop.

Now... they would probably appreciate my concern for their future by doing that so.... :D

Regards...

Sarge..

Bob Noles
12-16-2008, 6:40 PM
Sarge,

Living in the Atlanta area same as you, I really appreciate this post. I have been struggling trying to get around to making a new benchtop and using SYP. You post reinforces my decision to go this route and is very encouraging for me to get moving on the project this spring.

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

John Thompson
12-16-2008, 8:48 PM
Sarge,

Living in the Atlanta area same as you, I really appreciate this post. I have been struggling trying to get around to making a new benchtop and using SYP. You post reinforces my decision to go this route and is very encouraging for me to get moving on the project this spring.

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

You're welcome Bob. When spring rolls around give me a shout and you can come by and look at mine if you wish. And if you want I'll go with you to help pick out SYP but.... try to purchase in advance of when you intend to do it to give them time to acclimate.

Regards...

Sarge.. in L'ville

Wilbur Pan
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Coincidentally, Chris Schwarz has a recent blog post (http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Taming+The+Wild+Pine.aspx) on the Woodworking Magazine website that says that some pine species are really dimensionally stable: a 12"-wide quartersawn Eastern white pine board would only move .009" with a 1% change in moisture, and many pines move less than hardwoods: maple, cherry, oak, walnut, alder, beech, birch, hickory and ash.

John Thompson
12-17-2008, 2:33 PM
Coincidentally, Chris Schwarz has a recent blog post (http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Taming+The+Wild+Pine.aspx) on the Woodworking Magazine website that says that some pine species are really dimensionally stable: a 12"-wide quartersawn Eastern white pine board would only move .009" with a 1% change in moisture, and many pines move less than hardwoods: maple, cherry, oak, walnut, alder, beech, birch, hickory and ash.

And I have to agree with the young gentleman from Arkansas, Wilbur. And that is especially true about pine getting a bad rap from reeking wet straight off the shelf IMO. Just my experiences which appear to be simikar to his. I have no problem with it but... I do take care to select carefully and allow to acclimate before it sees the saw-blade. Then once cut to rough sizing.. it gets acclimated again.

Regards...

Sarge..