PDA

View Full Version : Can I "Pre-Gloat"?

Guy Germaine
12-15-2008, 2:45 PM
I go pick this up tonight. A guy on Craigslist has this. Brand New DeWalt DW788....

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/127233.jpg

$299
Merry Christmas to ME! :D:D:D

glenn bradley
12-15-2008, 3:20 PM
WOW! I do a very little scrolling with a coping saw but, I would be all over that for the price and increase my activities. Congrats!

Chris Padilla
12-15-2008, 3:21 PM
Pre-gloats are just fine...please gloat away....

wait, you already did!! congrats...nice find

Don Bullock
12-15-2008, 9:19 PM
Very nice gloat! Congratulations.

Phil Thien
12-15-2008, 9:20 PM
I'd be way too superstitious to pre-gloat. :p

Gorgeous saw!

Guy Germaine
12-16-2008, 5:45 AM
Well, here it is! Complete with a little sawdust. Took me about 5 minutes to put the table on it, and fire it up. That thing is Sweet!
http://www.fototime.com/BEDF481F97CF118/standard.jpg

It just happens to be sitting REALLY close to the ~100BF pile of 15 year old air-dried walnut I picked up the other day for $100 :D
http://www.fototime.com/BC42089DD9DCC05/standard.jpg

Chris Padilla
12-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Sigh, two gloats in one thread...oh the humanity! ;)

Dewey Torres
12-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey Guy,
First off... nice saw. You are going to love it. I have the same saw I bought new for over $500 and I thought I got a deal. You beat me by a long shot. That seller must have needed the money for the holidays.

I have some recommendations for you to get even more out of this saw so I will come back to this thread tonight once I can get to my shop and post some pics along with it.

Aaron Berk
12-16-2008, 1:04 PM
I picked up a dremel 16" scroll saw off craigs list awhile back for 45$. I think your deal takes that cake though!!
Happy Scrolling To Ya

Merry CHRISTmas
Aaron

Dewey Torres
12-17-2008, 2:10 AM
Guy,
I noticed you did pretty much what I did when I first got my saw:

1) I wanted it portable so I did not bolt it to the bench.. This works fine but when you crank it up all the way it will walk just enough to throw off your cut.. That being said, I usually don’t use it on max anyway.

2) get some double reverse blades (Pic #2). They cut on the up and down strokes andc come in other sizes than listed here. They are fast and clean.

3) Go look at the scrollsawer magazine web forum. I know you will continue to support SMC so we don't risk telling you that 50% of the people on that forum own our Dewalt saw and these guys are the real pros.

4) You will need a light, a magnifier, and a foot switch. I solved the light and mag glass by attaching a unit that has both (see pic #1). The foot switch can be had for about $25. You don't need the Dewalt brand, just one that will handle 110v.

5) A zero clearance insert??? I just cut a slot in some hard board, clamp and go with it but you could take the time to shape it to the table and make it fancy.
6) You don’t have to throw it away but get it the HECK out of here. The hold-down for this saw it less than a prize winner. Learn how to hold the work without it. It is very hard to cut yourself with this saw unless you get super carless.

I guess this means another inlay hall table?

Guy Germaine
12-17-2008, 5:40 AM
Thanks Dewey. I didn't get the stand because I thought the stand for my old Delta would work. Wrong! It's too small. :( I will be getting the stand for it right after the first of the year. The guy that sold me the saw, also has the stand. It's only sitting on my workbench to set it up and play with. I'm definitely going to look into a light. Where did you get yours? Also, where did you get the foot switch?

The Hold-Down?? I tried that thing when I first put the saw together, and promptly took it back off!:D

Another inlay hall table? Eventually. I have a picture of Belle jumping from a boat (My Avatar) that I want to do, but I need practice with the saw first. Plus, it's too cold in the shop right now.

Thanks for the input. I will most certainly be back with questions.

lou sansone
12-17-2008, 9:09 AM
that is a great saw. I have to confess I use it for many of my dovetails in drawer building

Lou

Jim Becker
12-17-2008, 9:24 AM
Productive week in the "shopping" department for Guy!!!

I was thinking the other day that I may need to get one of these things sometime if I end up making more tack trunks...making the monogram letters with the band saw is less than ideal, especially when I get beyond "open" letters.

mike marconi
12-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Guy great deal.

I have the same saw with the stand, love the saw. Didn't like the stand much, it's a pain to move around. When the weathers nice I like to pull the saw outside and work. I decided to build a stand with storage.

http://www.plantemarconi.com/scrollsaw/ss3.jpg

that is a great saw. I have to confess I use it for many of my dovetails in drawer building

Glad I'm not the only one.

Mike

John Schreiber
12-17-2008, 11:49 AM
You lucked out man. Congratulations on the find.

Aaron Berk
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Guy great deal.

I have the same saw with the stand, love the saw. Didn't like the stand much, it's a pain to move around. When the weathers nice I like to pull the saw outside and work. I decided to build a stand with storage.

http://www.plantemarconi.com/scrollsaw/ss3.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one.

Mike

Wow Mike, that's some stand you got there:eek:
Very nice work

Dewey Torres
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm definitely going to look into a light. Where did you get yours? Also, where did you get the foot switch?

I will pull up that info on the light when I get home tonight.
The foot switch I am using came with the vacuum press kit from Joe WW. He sells them on his website but they are sold at many of the ww websites.

Guy Germaine
12-18-2008, 5:02 AM
"Less than ideal" is a good way to put it! :D
Try cutting a running Newfie about 4" long on a 17" bandsaw! Not pretty :rolleyes:

I definitely need a lot pf practice. This isn't a tool that you can just walk up to and start making anything worthwhile. I played with it a little last night, and managed to butcher several pieces of scrap wood.

Productive week in the "shopping" department for Guy!!!

I was thinking the other day that I may need to get one of these things sometime if I end up making more tack trunks...making the monogram letters with the band saw is less than ideal, especially when I get beyond "open" letters.

Dewey Torres
12-20-2008, 9:53 PM
Here is the light/ mag glass I bought. You can get them much cheaper but I wanted a 5 diopter which is about 2 times the standard magnification of the cheaper lights.

You could also get by with a set of those craft magnifiers that you wear on your head and flip down.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010BIYGU