PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Steve... for Spreaders

Allen Neighbors
12-15-2008, 2:17 PM
Steve S, gave us a tutorial on these spreaders. At least I think it was Steve. I hope it was Steve, since that's who I'm thanking. :)
I turned a couple of these for prototypes, and Her Majesty liked them. Then she asked me how long it took to turn one. I told her about an hour. She then asked me to turn 14 of them for gifts for her quilting group ladies.:eek:
Here are 15 of them. I'm going to turn some more, I've already given one of them to another friend, and plan on making some for my 4 DILs and 6 of my married Granddaughters. They are really fun to turn, and quick, too.:D
These are from Mesquite (7 O'clock) and Paulope (5 O'clock) and Silverleaf Maple, Spalted Maple, and Spalted Poplar (2:30, 8:30, 11:30). Some of the Maple had a lot of curl (6 O'clock). The one at 11 O'clock had a knot in a bad spot, but it's been strengthened with CA and Coffee, and has some good spring to it, so I don't think it'll break easily.
Comments and Critiques welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 2:25 PM
Allen - those are really great looking spreaders! Love the varieties of wood you used! They are fun to make and - for me - was quite a change to do a little spindle turning! It comes back to you but I sure prefer bowls & hollow forms!

Those will make for some great gifts! Very nice work! Especially like the detail lines!

Allen Neighbors
12-15-2008, 2:36 PM
Thanks for the comments, Steve. Coming from the Master, they mean a lot. I always enjoy your posts. :)

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 2:38 PM
Master... now that's funny! ROFLOL You trying to make it onto my Christmas list?

Glad you found something useful in the tutorial!

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2008, 5:07 PM
OK...those are so cool.....Where's the tutorial on the making process of them??

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2008, 5:12 PM
Dennis - you can find the tutorial here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97760

But I have to tell you - I think Al did a much better job on his spreaders. Real classy!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-15-2008, 7:55 PM
Hé Allen, nice job, love all the different woods you used, what's the grey looking wood Allen ??(7.30-8 o-clock) don't think I do know that wood :)

robert hainstock
12-15-2008, 8:40 PM
If the tax assesor gets hold of this thread of yours ---- Oh baby there goes the neighborhood tax rate.
Nice spreaders and gifts. the quilters are going to love them. :):)
Bob

Allen Neighbors
12-15-2008, 8:55 PM
Hi, Leo. That gray wood is the Spalted Poplar I mentioned as being at 2:30, 8:30, and 11:30. My 2 yr old grandson was "helping" me place them there on the floor for the pic. If I'd taken the time with the photo, I could have put them all together in a row, or at least had 12 hours on the clock (instead of 14). The Poplar is about the same weight as cottonwood... really light weight... and about as easy to work.
These are all finished with hot Mineral Oil and Beeswax mixture. I put the finish on cold (sort of gritty from the beeswax getting cold) and then hold it near the open door on my shop wood stove and heat it, then rub it in with my bare hands; then reheat it, and rub... repeating 'til the wood has absorbed all it will take, then rub with a soft rag. It lasts pretty well as far as I can tell.
The one we have in the kitchen has been used daily now for about a week. Her Majesty washes it off under hot water, then towels it dry, and the finish is still nice, but that could be from the oil in the mayo. That's all the time we've used it, so I can't tell if it will last longer.
I've finished some of our own utility bowls like that, and they still are pretty nice, after a few years (but they're not used constantly, either).

Leo Van Der Loo
12-15-2008, 9:10 PM
Thanks Allen, I was thinking it could be Poplar but wasn't sure, yes I agree the Beeswax with the mineral oil is nice, it does give it a real smooth feeling surface, though I don't make it myself, Lee Valley sell the stuff, and since I use it only on foot items an d it doesn't need much, it last quite a long time.
On the Bowls I just use my hands and/or a rag to get it to penetrate the wood, .... you know, when I was still living in Holland I would use beeswax already, but it was in the form of candles, my Dads hunting buddy looked after the church and he would bring me a few ends of those beeswax candles, as most would go back to the candle makers to be melted and used again, (the bottom 2 or 3 inches had no wick in them) I would just hold those candle pieces against the fast turning bowl and then used a rag to get it to melt and penetrate the wood, it did look good, and the price was right :D

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Great looking spreaders Allen. Well done.