PDA

View Full Version : Nearly finished bench

David Klink
06-14-2004, 2:10 AM
I'm almost finished building my first workbench. It's basically only the fourth piece of furniture I've built, the others being a glider bench, a sewing station, and a massive CD/video tape storage unit. It's my first time using box joints, M&T, and making an edge glued top.

All it needs is hardware for the doors and to be finished. Not sure how I'm going to do the finishing yet. I'm not too experienced there.

The top and skirt are red and white oak, the vises are Brazilian cherry, the base is stained pine, and the cabinet is particle board with oak veneer plywood laminated to it. I used elements from benches I've seen, but the design is basically my own, which I have to admit is a good feeling. The only other thing I made without a plan is the media storage unit.

Kind of a departure for me, since I've mostly built lighthouses to sell, and dabble quite a bit in intarsia. (They're both easier on the back!)

Here are some pictures. It's a little on the dusty side for now. Any finishing suggestions would be welcomed with open arms, as I'm not quite decided. I lean towards a wipe on poly, but that's hardly set in stone.

http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/bench6.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/bench7.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/bench8.jpg

Tyler Howell
06-14-2004, 5:15 AM
Dave, It's a beauty!;)

David Klink
06-14-2004, 5:49 AM
Thank you, Tyler!

Herb Blair
06-14-2004, 6:16 AM
David,
You have something to be proud of. I did my bench with simular legs/feet as yours, but yours is much prettier!

David Klink
06-14-2004, 6:41 AM
Thank you, Herb. I try to watch the pride thing(It goeth before a fall.), but I am pleased with it.

I'll probably avoid using it to any degree for awhile. Stick it against the back wall of the garage, and wipe every speck of dust that falls on it off for a month or so.;)

Dominic Greco
06-14-2004, 7:31 AM
You did a great job on the design and construction of this. It really does look fantastic.

I like how you took features from other benches and incorporated them in to your own design.

I'm sure you'll just love using it.

Peter Kuhlman
06-14-2004, 8:42 AM
David - that is a truly impressive bench. What did you use for the front vise? Did you have it brass plated or paint it? Thank you for posting the picture.
Pete in Louisiana

Mark Bachler
06-14-2004, 8:42 AM
She's a beauty! Very nice design & construction. Where did you get the brass vice hardware?

Terry Hatfield
06-14-2004, 8:45 AM
David,

Excellent job!!!!!!!!!! There is no better feeling for a woodworker than building a fine bench. It will serve you well for many years to come. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting the pics.

Terry

David Wilson
06-14-2004, 8:46 AM
Very good looking bench.

David Klink
06-14-2004, 8:49 AM
Weeellll, it's not really brass hardware. The vise and vise screw are both cast iron. I cleaned them up, primed them, then painted them. It was either the bright bordello red, Carolina Panthers teal, Minnesota Vikings Purple, black, white or this "instant brass". Made it pretty easy to decide.:)

It'll scrape off some in places, but that's okay.

Steve King
06-14-2004, 9:01 AM
Great looking bench!!!!!!
Steve

Mark Singer
06-14-2004, 9:12 AM
Really nice work! Excellent!

Mark Valsi
06-14-2004, 9:43 AM
Very nice !!

It will hurt when you make your first "dent" in the top !!

Alan Turner
06-14-2004, 3:09 PM
As with the others, I join in saying that this is a nice piece of work. You asked about finish. My choice is an oil/varnish mix, and Waterlox original would be fine. I do everything on my bench, so it is marked, and receives regular coats of glue drippings, all flavors, and unintended finishing drops, etc. So, when I finish a project, I just use a card scraper, and clean it up a bit. And, when I have the Waterlox out for another reason, and feel inspired, I put a light coat on and wipe it off. A film finish such as a poly will suffer mightily from normal use.
Be sure to do all sides, the bottom, etc.
Enjoy your new tool.
Alan

Tim Sproul
06-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Darn....I don't think drool is very good for my keyboard... :)

Alan Tolchinsky
06-14-2004, 11:36 PM
David, That's an art piece, a real beauty. I like the contrasting woods and the vise hardware. Great job! Alan in Md.

Tyler Howell
06-15-2004, 2:51 AM
Had to take another look! (Nothing wrong with Vikings Purple, But not on that beauty) I'd be afraid to use it.;) This one goes on display in the gallery too!

David Klink
06-15-2004, 4:36 AM
Thanks guys....We've got some running to do, so I may keep an eye out for the Waterlox. I've seen it mentioned several times, and most people think well of it.

Best believe I'm leery of using it! I havn't even put a finish on it, but every time I walk by the dang thing, I wipe the top off. It'll probably be a good thing when the first dent happens, sort of breaking it in. I'll just fly my flag at half staff that day and move on.:)

It's easily the nicest thing I've ever made. The 2nd nicest was a glider bench I built a couple of years ago. My 2nd project, 1st piece of furniture, and I truly amazed myself because I had never attempted anything like that.

Never know what you can do until you put your mind to it, I guess.

Thanks again...

David Klink
06-17-2004, 9:26 PM
Okay, she's finished. I ended up going with a BLO/poly/mineral spirits brew. I didn't know I would find the BLO around here, but when I did went for it.

I put the hinges on the front just to break it up a little. Looked a little plain in front to me. In retrospect it might have looked better with them mortised in the sides, but it's a done deal now.

http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/benchfront.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/benchleft.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/benchright.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/benchtop.jpg
It worked out pretty well, even the doors. I'm not a fan of mounting hinges at all. I cursed a wee bit a couple of times, but the neighbor's kids weren't around so it's okay...:)

Tyler Howell
06-17-2004, 9:36 PM
OOOOOOOHHHH Dave!

You done good buddy, Well done.

Jim Ketron
06-17-2004, 9:57 PM
WOW!! nice job

Jim

Rob Littleton
06-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Dude, I would put that in my kitchen and eat from it often.....I like that.

IF I left it in the shop, I would be sure to put a protective cover on it so it dont get scratched.

Nice work dude

David Klink
06-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys. I have to admit I'm pretty pleased with it. As far as eating off of it, my wife said the same thing. "That could be a kitchen table if it was a little higher." *wink wink*

That's probably next on the list. She's talked of having a smaller table in the kitchen, and I already have something in mind. I saw a picture of shaker style table I liked with trestle style supports. I might customize the legs some, though. We shall see...

Kent Cori
06-18-2004, 10:28 AM
FOUL! FOUL! 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. You are not allowed to publish a photo of something made for use in your shop that looks better than most of the funiture in my house. :)

Chris Padilla
06-18-2004, 12:41 PM
David, I wanna see the first blemish, boo-boo, mar, gouge, chip, scratch on that fine piece of furniture! :D

Then I want a picture of you looking at it and crying your eyes out! :D :D

Bob Marino
06-18-2004, 1:13 PM
David,

As the others have said, it's a beaut! Great idea about painting the vices.

Bob

Bruce Page
06-18-2004, 1:56 PM
David, pretty much all of the accolades have already been used so I'll just repeat one of them....

Beautiful!!!

Rich Konopka
06-21-2004, 4:08 PM
I love the use of different woods and the finish. What did you use for hardware on the front vise?

Best Regards,

Jerry Olexa
06-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Great work. You should be proud. Enjoy it!!! Jerry

David Klink
06-22-2004, 3:19 AM
Kent, I'll accept that foul gladly...Just so long as it doesn't include loss of down!

Chris, it probably won't be long since my granddaughter seems to like standing on it.:) I'll be sure and post that first scratch though, promptly after I tell the police I'm fine after the neighbors call them, having reported a bloodcurdling scream coming from my garage.;)

Thanks much Bob, Bruce and Jerry!

Rich, the vise was an old one I picked up off eBay. All the info I could find on it was, it was patented around 1900 or so by E.H. Sheldon Co. I had a patent No. and info on a similiar one by the same co., but I can't dig it up. This one is a revision of the patented one, with the difference being 3 mounting holes on the rear plate as opposed to 4 on the one in the patent, and the lever mechanism vertically with a sweeping motion, rather than side to side. I figure it was made between 1905-1925.

It has a kind of racking mechanism, with a toothed plate on the bottom. The mounting bracket has a smaller one underneath. When the lever is in the vertical position, the face of the vise moves in and out freely. After you have it against your piece you push the lever down, the teeth engage, and lock the workpiece in place.

Here are some pictures I took of it before I cleaned it up.

The stamp on the front reads:EH Sheldon Chicago
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/VISESTAMP.JPG
Closed, from the left side. (Sitting on my benchtop!:) )
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/VISECLOSEDLEFT.JPG
The open position. You can see the teeth on the bottom.
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/VISEOPENLEFT.JPG

I liked it because it's unique, and it doesn't hurt that it works well. I also managed to dig up the patent application picture.
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/Sheldon656793.jpg

Todd Burch
06-22-2004, 8:24 AM
David, that looks REAL nice. Now, get out to your SHOP and start USING it!! Let me put on my GREAT CARNACK hat.... you are right handed.... you have a lot of hand tools that you are wanting to use more often on projects.... your neighbors are jealous.... you are already contemplating making a false top to protect it.... you forgot to sign it.

How may did I get right?!!!

David Klink
06-22-2004, 1:53 PM
Well Karnak, you got 3.5 out of 4 right. I don't have a LOT of hand tools yet, but I'm working on obtaining more, and I do plan on using them. I plead the 5th on the rest.:)

Alan Turner
06-22-2004, 2:10 PM
David
I have seen vices like that on older benches, for sale at flea markets, but really intended by the dealers for the kitchens. I assume that from the prices. Nice patina, not flat, very small. But, I always liked the style of vices. I have one that you can tighten with your hip, but took it off to replace with an Emmert. I love the Emmert, but do miss the no hands approach. I am saving my other one for a second bench, which I don't have room for now, but hope to some day.
Alan

Rob Horton
06-22-2004, 6:41 PM
David,

Fantastic job my friend! The brass hardware looks extremely nice. I've seen a lot of benches in my short woodworking time, but never one with hardware like that. It really sets it off.

Keep up the good work!