PDA

View Full Version : Beginer Making Cabinets

Kevin Hauser
12-15-2008, 1:35 PM
I need to make some cabinets and discovered this forum. I have a pretty good plan in my head on what I need to get done, however the tools at my displosal right now are somewhat of a joke.

To cut my wood I have an aluminum metal bar (perfectly straight), clamps and a circular saw. Before I set myself up for failure is it even possible to make a cabinet thats still square with this sort of cutting method.

Rod Sheridan
12-15-2008, 1:44 PM
Hi Kevin, of course it's possible, the question is however what sort of cabinets are you making, and what are you making them out of?

Regards, Rod.

Todd Crawford
12-15-2008, 1:47 PM
I won't saw it's impossible, but my guess is, it will be very frustrating to say the least. If you're going to attempt it, make sure you invest in a good blade, good clamps for you straight edge and some masking tape for your cross cuts. (Tape the area that you will be cross cutting to prevent damage to the veneer when you cross cut.) I used a set up very similar to what you are talking about for all of my crosscuts when I built my first set. I ripped everything to width on the tablesaw, but all of my crosscuts were done in this manner. I'm not sure if you are planning to build the doors yourself or not, but this will be very tricky with your setup depending on what kind of doors you build. If you are planning to order your doors, check out Ameradoor dot com. You can custom order your doors and from what I've heard, they are pretty good quality. If you can find your face frame material in finished dimension that would save you a lot of work but would also cost you a lot more money. A lot can be done with a circular saw and a good straightedge, but know that it will not be as easy as some other methods. You know your skill level better than anyone else, so have fun with whatever you decide to do.....

Greg Hines, MD
12-15-2008, 1:57 PM
It is entirely possible. You need to have accurate layouts and sharp blades, but you should be able to do that without difficulty. Assuming that you are making them out of plywood, I would suggest either a zero-clearance base for your saw, made of 1/8" or 1/4" hardboard, or sandwiching it between one of those, to prevent chipout. Your straight edge should do a good job of guiding your saw.

My brother and I build an entertainment center using essentially just a circular saw for my folks about 15 years ago. We had a benchtop table saw to rip the mouldings and other pieces, but the circular saw did most of the work. Not bad for a project that, when installed, was about 13' tall and 15' wide.

Doc

Kevin Hauser
12-15-2008, 2:22 PM
My plan is to make all cabinets out of MDF, prime and paint them black. For Doors I will just make them out of mdf, but they will be covered with 1/16" aluminum diamond plate.

Not the lightest things in the world, but should look nice in the end. At least they do in my mind.

I plan on getting a good blade for my saw, now that I have a little bost of confidence knowing it is posslbe :)

Rob Russell
12-15-2008, 2:23 PM
If you're just using a circular saw, it implies to me that you'll be using all butt joints. You might seriously consider getting a router so you can cut some rabbets and grooves. That would make it easier to do a recessed back panel.

Beyond that, everything about the cabinets will come down to how accurately you measure, how accurately you put your straightedge on your workpiece and secure it, and how clean your cuts are. Don't assume that factory plywood is cut square either - you need to allow for squaring your pieces yourself.

Lee Schierer
12-15-2008, 2:24 PM
I agree it is possible. I made my first piece of furninture with a $14.95 B&D sabre saw and a router. We still have it. I've offered to make LOML a new one several times out of real wood adn she has refused, she is happy witht he old one.

You just need to take your time and measure everything very carefully to get it cut square. If you cut it square, it will assemble much easier and turn out much nicer. Sometimes you can justify the purchase of a tool by using that tool to make a project. The amount you spend on the tool and the materials will sometimes equal what it would cost to buy a the same finished item of good quality.

Robert Eiffert
12-15-2008, 4:57 PM
+1 on all the 'work carefully and accurately' comments.

Part of 'carefully and accurately' is being safe. Not stretching to finish a cut, workpiece clamped to sawhorses or supports, knowing where the extension cord is, picturing where your and your helpers' hands will be throughout the cut, stopping before tired or frustrated, not setting a deadline in stone, etc.

I'd really make sure the straight edge is straight AND STIFF. A lot of work can be done using that, attentive clamping, and careful cutting.

I'd add only to read up on finishing. And save some scraps to practice on first. I'd hate to have a problem there after working hard to get everything right.

Joe Chritz
12-15-2008, 10:53 PM
My personal kitchen was made with a rag tag assortment of tools. All the crosscuts were done with what you described. The guided saws, Festool, EZ, etc are just fancy versions of a straight edge.

It won't be easy but it is very possible.

Joe

Todd Pretty
12-16-2008, 1:14 AM
I've used a similar method for some built in cabinets that I had to complete on-site in a hi rise apartment. Though no doors, all open shelving.

I'd suggest calculating the width of each cut that you'll have to make (after subtracting for the width of the base of the saw to the blade edge and always cut on the same side of the blade, referencing the same side of the saw base) then cutting sample blocks for each width. Then no measurements... set your straight edge with the sample blocks, check before and after you clamp. This eliminates one point of error and increases your ability to make accurate and repeatable cuts.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-16-2008, 1:57 AM
If you're just using a circular saw, it implies to me that you'll be using all butt joints. You might seriously consider getting a router so you can cut some rabbets and grooves. That would make it easier to do a recessed back panel.

Beyond that, everything about the cabinets will come down to how accurately you measure, how accurately you put your straightedge on your workpiece and secure it, and how clean your cuts are. Don't assume that factory plywood is cut square either - you need to allow for squaring your pieces yourself.

I'll second the square plywood issue. I found a sheet this last week the cut offs tapered an inch over 8'. Usually they are ok, but check.

Of course you can build cabinets this way. If you can think the process through to your satisfaction, you are perfecly capable of anything. Have fun, and I bet about half way through, you figure out how to get a tablesaw.;)

Craig T. Smith
12-16-2008, 8:06 AM
Kevin, Welcome to the Creek. You can make good cuts like you describe. I break down sheet goods the same way. Just remember a straight edge is not always straight and a square is not always square. Make a mark with your straight edge then flip it over and check to see if its really straight. Then line up your square and test it. Happy Woodworking. Craig

Anthony Anderson
12-16-2008, 9:02 AM
Kevin, I agree that it very do-able. I use a Freud 40 tooth blade in my circular saw to cut sheet goods, using a clamping type aluminum straight edge. If yours is not the clamp type straight edge then make sure your cut marks are very accurate. Be sure to allow for the kerf of the blade, and make sure that you are cutting on the correct side of the cut mark/line, as that one mistake will either force you to cut a new piece (gets costly after awhile, not that I know from experience:rolleyes:), or modify the dimensions of your project. So make sure to cut on the correct side of the line. But yes, many people cut their sheet goods with a circular saw, for one reason or another. The Freud 40 tooth circular saw blade cuts very nice, both for rip cuts and cross cuts. No splintering at all in maple and oak plywood. Good Luck, Bill

My plan is to make all cabinets out of MDF, prime and paint them black. For Doors I will just make them out of mdf, but they will be covered with 1/16" aluminum diamond plate.

Not the lightest things in the world, but should look nice in the end. At least they do in my mind.

I plan on getting a good blade for my saw, now that I have a little bost of confidence knowing it is posslbe :)

Prashun Patel
12-16-2008, 9:15 AM
You can make a straight edge guide out of plywood that is even better than an alum guide only because it'll eliminate you having to measure the offset for the base.

Try to use jigs as much as possible; they'll improve yr repeatability and accuracy. You might build a crosscut sled like these:

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/five-circular-saw-jigs/
http://greenthumbgoodies.com/Cutting%20Box/cutting_box.htm

A cutting box like this will allow you to make perpendicular cuts easier.

Chip Lindley
12-16-2008, 7:26 PM
The only way you will understand what it takes to Do a project, is attempt it now for the first time. You will learn the shortcomings of your tools and the benefit of acquiring new and different tools to do a particular job better. Much good advice has been offered in this thread to get you started.

There are many ways to accomplish the same objective in woodworking, but some are very awkward compared to others. Some insure more accuracy than others. And, some Do cost more $$$ than others!

Give it your best shot Kevin, and Learn by Doing!

Kevin Hauser
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Finished 1 of 3 cabinets for my garage. It all came down to how accurate my measurements were and squaring up as best I could before beginning.

End result I did buy a small portable table saw Dewalt 744XRS, not the best saw perhaps but I did manage to find it for same price as the 745 due to a pricing error which made it a really good deal. Now i'm set to tackle the rest.

I've looked into the EZ System and the Festool saws, I think i'll probably get the ez system in the near future. I sure wish it was available locally I hate ordering (and waiting) for things to arrive.

Thanks to this site someone who knew nothing actually made a cabinet thats square and haning on the wall :)

Todd Crawford
12-31-2008, 7:48 AM
congratulations Kevin. lets see some pictures.